starting strength gym

Thread: Thoughts on Essential Amino Acids

Default Thoughts on Essential Amino Acids

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Recently came across Essential Amino acids. Dr Minkoff claims that protein utilization in whole eggs is the highest of foods we eat at 48% meat,fish around 32% and whey and soy proteins about 14-17%. He claims that his essential aminos are 99% at utilizing protein. I don’t believe that his essential aminos are any better than anyone else’s. But just curious if anyone has researched any of these claims further. Closing in on 48 yrs old, And working in the field, I find it hard to eat those 4 meals a day while working, so anything I can do to aid in my recovery is a plus.

I don't know who Dr. Minkoff is but in general eggs are the highest quality protein source with most meats coming in next. I don't think you are going to have a problem assimilating protein on a diet high in animal protein. Now what do you do for work because it is unclear what the challenge is with balancing that.

I’m a field technician in west Texas. My days start at 4am wake up, at gym by 5am. Do my SS and at work by 7am. Work on equipment and home between 6pm amd 9pm daily 5 days a week with some Saturdays. Not all days are physical but the days are always long.

Do you get a lunch break? Do you have access to refrigeration whether it be a cooler or an actual refrigerator?

I do have access to a cooler, and I do get a lunch break, however I mostly eat on the road. I bring fruit most days, I use to meal prep some when I was cutting, actually was down to 167 at 5’11 3/4 last year. I’ve drank tons of protein shakes in the past but if that utilization rate is accurate then that feels like a huge waste of money. I’m currently at 195lbs and trying to get my lifts stronger. So trying to eat like a big boy lol

The utilization rate that i think you are referring to is not a thing. Read my article Protein Needs and Barbell Training for clarification. I'd probably get some lowfat milk and put down a quart or half gallon for starters because it's easy and cheap. A weight gainer or protein shakes with home made ingredients can help too. I'd just stock your cooler with yogurt, milk, and bring some beef jerky and protein shakes as well.

I will definitely read your article, thank you for your suggestions.

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome!