starting strength gym

Thread: A fatmans baseline nutrition question

Default A fatmans baseline nutrition question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6’ 2” 245lb 41 years
    Ive been lifting weights 3 months, 6 weeks on the SSNLP. 3 months ago i had a 38” waist at 240lb. Now I have a 38” waist at 246lb. My upper body has grown for sure, shirts tighter up top for sure. Squats up 100lb from 90 to 190, bench 170, press ~110, DL 290 (im shooting for 300 this week...maybe, that last set of 5 tore me up).
    Im scared to gain weight but i Lost a few lbs a few weeks back and I started failing lifts. So thats no good.
    So Im aiming now for 3300 calories /day of whole foods. And Im thinking of eliminating starches with dinner.
    Does this seem legit? Is it really possible to lose weight and gain strength, I feel weak when I try. Is this type of weight gain acceptable (or normal) for an overweight novice?
    This next week outta tell me if what im doing will work. The weights are heavy enough that i will fail if imnot on point with rest/eating etc
    Thanks! Any advice is appreciated

How many carbohydrate and protein grams are you consuming? What is your current programming?

Novice linear progression. I try and make meals protein based, but to feed the family, theres plenty of rice and potatoes

Novice linear progression. I try and make meals protein based, but feeding my family requires plenty of bread, rice and potatoes. So its hard to quantify exactly

Why don't you start by tracking and see where your numbers fall. We have no data to assess so it's difficult to say whether nutrition is the issue to address or not.

Okay

Keep us posted.

Ive recently found myself stuck. So im newly committed to tracking calories.
    Yesterday
    @3600
    365g carb
    218g protein
    141g fat
    Im gonna shoot to reduce fat some

starting strength coach development program
    That would be a good start. Carbohydrate and protein look rock solid to me.