starting strength gym

Thread: Please rate my diet

Default Please rate my diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello y’all.

I am 29 and about to turn 30. I am 6’0 and 193 lbs. I am about to begin the novice SS program with no modifications. My lifting goals are simple: get as strong as possible. I plan to run novice SS for at least 8 weeks.

However, I do not want to put on any weight unless it is lean muscle. Considering these goals, I have, with the help of knowledgeable friends, crafted the following diet. Please let me know what you think.

Breakfast
    3-4 eggs cooked any way
    1 piece of fruit

Lunch
    8-10 oz lean meat
    4 oz veggies (no potatoes)
    1 piece of fruit

Dinner
    8-10 oz lean meat
    4 oz veggies
    Whatever carbs I want for the day (usually bread, tortillas, rice, etc.)

Other considerations:

I will have a double protein shake (50g protein) after every workout.
    If I am hungry, I will eat a snack. The snack will usually be 2 tbsp peanut butter and/or a piece of fruit.
    I am trying to drink more liquor and less beer.
    I am limiting alcoholic drinks on Friday to no more than 3.
    Saturdays and Sundays are cheat days where I can eat and drink whatever I want.
    Once per week, I will go eat lunch with my colleagues and will not stick to my diet.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a diet that will result in weight loss unless you go crazy with bread or on the weekends. Especially if you start training. What are you actually eating now?

"However, I do not want to put on any weight unless it is lean muscle."

Good luck with that.

Looks like a diet that's light on carbohydrates and will either result in weight loss like Stef said or will result in poor performance with zero weight change. How much are you lifting?

Thank y’all for the information. I will add some more carbs and protein to be on the safe side.

I have been following this diet for the past two weeks.

I guess I should specify my lifting goals too. I want to get to 185 for 5 reps on bench, 275 for 5 reps on squat, 300 for 5 reps on deadlift, and 115 for 5 reps on press by the end of the year (3.5 months). I just don’t want to get fat.

My lifts are, currently (Week 1), bench 115, squat and deadlift 135, press 80.

In January of this year, I was benching 150 for ten reps, squatting 200 for ten reps, deadlifting 225 for ten reps, and pressing 90 for 8 reps. I was doing Greyskull with good success. I stopped lifting and focused on training for a duathlon and 10K, which I completed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by nrhand View Post
    Thank y’all for the information. I will add some more carbs and protein to be on the safe side.

I have been following this diet for the past two weeks.

I guess I should specify my lifting goals too. I want to get to 185 for 5 reps on bench, 275 for 5 reps on squat, 300 for 5 reps on deadlift, and 115 for 5 reps on press by the end of the year (3.5 months). I just don’t want to get fat.

My lifts are, currently (Week 1), bench 115, squat and deadlift 135, press 80.

In January of this year, I was benching 150 for ten reps, squatting 200 for ten reps, deadlifting 225 for ten reps, and pressing 90 for 8 reps. I was doing Greyskull with good success. I stopped lifting and focused on training for a duathlon and 10K, which I completed.
    330+ deadlift is more realistic with a 270 squat. Keep your carbohydrates up and focus on progress under the bar.