starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition for improved intra-set recovery?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last numbers were:
    225 Squat
    110 Press
    165 Bench
    300 Deadlift
    Also recently started adding in long overdue power cleans, decided to stop being nervous about doing them in my gym. Those were 135 but kinda sloppy.
    Set and rep schemes are the basic ones prescribed by the book. 3 sets of 5 for most, 1 set of 5 for deadlift, 5 sets of 3 for the clean.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    Can any of you recommend an affordable, quality BCAA supplement?
    Extendz is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Last numbers were:
    225 Squat
    110 Press
    165 Bench
    300 Deadlift
    Also recently started adding in long overdue power cleans, decided to stop being nervous about doing them in my gym. Those were 135 but kinda sloppy.
    Set and rep schemes are the basic ones prescribed by the book. 3 sets of 5 for most, 1 set of 5 for deadlift, 5 sets of 3 for the clean.
    You should not require that much rest. Height and weight? Ramp your carbohydrates up for 7 days and report back.

Height is 6'2", weight as of this morning was up to 241.

You likely need much more carbohydrate than you are currently eating given your size. Get 7 days of consistently high carbohydrate intake under your belt and see what happens.

Even more? Well, I guess I'm off to the grocery store.

For your size and those numbers yes. If that doesn't do the trick, get your T levels checked. Keep going down the list. Carbs are the easiest to address so start there.

I've often wondered if I had some kind of hormonal thing going on. I never really had a "growth spurt" growing up, it was all a linear progression more or less. But I've heard of other tall or tall-ish people who had a similar experience growing up. I also haven't noticed any symptoms of a testosterone deficiency. I do think I probably have a smaller genetic potential for building muscle, unfortunately. When I first started trying to train and improve myself almost 20 years ago when I was in high school, I was the same height and only 120 pounds. I try not to dwell on it though, it feels like the sort of mindset that will only get in the way of progress. I'll just try to get even more food in, and make sure I don't run into days where I end up with a bit less because I run out of one food or another unexpectedly.

Totally get it man. Let me ask you something else. How consistent are your actual training days week to week?

Haven't missed a day since I started. Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, every week. There's been some inconsistency in the linear progression, but that was for form correction reasons. The only other thing I could think of might be medication? I take Zoloft daily, but I have already looked around for evidence of that screwing with strength training or muscle function, and there's little I've found to suggest it does. In fact some things I turned up suggest it might even have an increasing effect on explosiveness, or at the very least increased serotonin in the motor neurons does. So I dunno what is going on here. My dietary baseline was recently upped to 4000 calories minimum as of advice from a prior post 2 weeks ago, and per your advice the other day I've been trying to do even more carbs. Probably over 600g now. But there's no dent in the needed rest, I tried that today with my squats and it was a disaster.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think SSRIs would cause any negative effects to your training performance so you're probably good there. Hours of sleep per night?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast