starting strength gym

Thread: 69 yo restarting after 6 month layoff. Cut too, or not?

Default 69 yo restarting after 6 month layoff. Cut too, or not?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for all you do here!

I discovered SS almost exactly 5 years ago, and lifted regularly for 4 ½ years. Recently took 6 months off, and have gotten a little fluffy. I'm planning on restarting. I'm assuming redoing an LP is the right approach. I know the basic recommendation for untrained NLP is don't do a cut during LP, wait till LP is done and then, if desired, do the cut then.

Would you feel as strongly about avoiding a cut during LP coming back from a layoff? I'd feel better about myself incorporating a moderate cut, but wonder about the consequences.

Basics: age 69, 6' 1” current weight 230, waist 42.5 at the navel. Started NLP 5 years ago at 207 waist 39.75. Eventually stabilized at 213-215 at the same waist. Gradually got fluffier last year or so. Layoff was due to many minor health and injury issues, but no single major item, as well as feeling generally crappy. Right now I feel great again and am healthy. Squat, for example, started at 95, and right before the layoff Prs were 250x5 and 255x3.

Thanks for the kind words. How strong are you right now at all of the lifts?

I don't know. I'm going to the gym today for the first time in quite a while. Plus, after reading all the cautionary comments in the books about being careful on restarting LP after layoff, I'm inclined to be pretty conservative the first few sessions.

I would certainly be conservative with it. The first month you should be good to drop some weight because the loads are light. When it gets heavier, worst case you may have to move to intermediate early if the weight loss is the priority.