starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet soda

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dr. Rhoda Patrick talked about diet soda a little bit on Joe Rogans podcast. She was mainly talking about how it changes the gut biome. I’m not sure if that relates to insulin or not.

There appears to be some truth to the microbiome stuff and I am inclined to believe it because many clients report gastrointestinal distress with artificial sweeteners. Then again, some (such as myself) do not. So there is certainly variability there. In terms of insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance the verdict is not out but from a practical standpoint I'd defer back to what Stef said. Extreme flavors are difficult to satisfy and the more you eat them the more you want them. Not everyone of course but many people have experienced this. Second, there are data reporting an insulin response after smelling sugar so it could just be that if the brain perceives sugar ingestion it may respond. Again, not fact but something currently explored in the professional research community.

“ 2014, Israeli scientists made headlines when they linked artificial sweeteners to changes in gut bacteria.

Mice, when fed artificial sweeteners for 11 weeks, had negative changes in their gut bacteria that caused increased blood sugar levels (7Trusted Source).

When they implanted the bacteria from these mice into germ-free mice, they also had increases in blood sugar levels.

Interestingly, the scientists were able to reverse the increase in blood sugar levels by changing the gut bacteria back to normal.

However, these results haven't been tested or replicated in humans.”

How Artificial Sweeteners Affect Blood Sugar and Insulin

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    “However, these results haven't been tested or replicated in humans.”
    Precisely.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but one of my coworkers brought this article to my attention:

Should you stop drinking diet soda? | Precision Nutrition

Apparently aspartame is much less likely to disrupt the gut biome than sucralose or even stevia.

I never drank sodas for pleasure because they generally taste like crap, but I drank them with every meal because I liked the sweet contrast to whatever I was eating. I never drank diet because those tasted worse. In an effort to reduce caffeine, though, I quit all sodas and started carrying around little bottles of lemon flavoring to squirt into a cup of water. These are artificially sweetened, but I don't notice the off-flavor like I did with diet sodas. I lost a few pounds, but nothing major. I guess I ended up removing from my diet the equivalent of 2 cans of coke and maybe the equivalent of sweet tea. My blood sugar fell, though, so that was bonus. I'd really like to give up the two cups of coffee I drink per day, because I use loads of sugar, but I really like coffee.

So what about "aspartame poisoning," aspartame causing cancer, MS-like symptoms, etc,? BS? Honest question

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    I never drank sodas for pleasure because they generally taste like crap, but I drank them with every meal because I liked the sweet contrast to whatever I was eating. I never drank diet because those tasted worse. In an effort to reduce caffeine, though, I quit all sodas and started carrying around little bottles of lemon flavoring to squirt into a cup of water. These are artificially sweetened, but I don't notice the off-flavor like I did with diet sodas. I lost a few pounds, but nothing major. I guess I ended up removing from my diet the equivalent of 2 cans of coke and maybe the equivalent of sweet tea. My blood sugar fell, though, so that was bonus. I'd really like to give up the two cups of coffee I drink per day, because I use loads of sugar, but I really like coffee.
    Try having fruit to end your meal. That has worked wonders for me and my step-brother in terms of managing the "sweet tooth."

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    So what about "aspartame poisoning," aspartame causing cancer, MS-like symptoms, etc,? BS? Honest question
    We'll never consume enough to match the amount consumed in the rodent studies by which these claims originate from. It can piss off your gut microbiome though.

I have a couple of vices and one of them is diet soda. I've been drinking too much of it for many, many years. I don't know if it causes cancer or not but if it does, get in line. Anecdotally I can say with confidence that it doesn't make me fat as some studies suggest. If it did I'd weigh 400 pounds.

starting strength coach development program
    Aspartame can also be a headache or migraine trigger for some people.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast