starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Diet soda

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    I disagree, sorta. Frequency and duration of exposure to acidic drinks will dictate the effect on tooth enamel. Sipping on "one or two" soft drinks including diet soft drinks throughout the day can definitely result in demineralization of enamel. Saliva along with brushing and flossing does a terrific job of "repairing" demineralized enamel if given the opportunity but that opportunity is not there if soft drinks are casually sipped over a long time period like an 8-5 job. (Now off dentist soap box)

I can find no redeeming quality in any soft drinks/sports drinks except taking up valuable space in my GI tract that could be used for real food or a more enjoyable liquid like beer.
    Noted. I consume maybe 2-4 in the evening after work because it makes me happy. I hear that happy people live longer. Redeeming quality.

Redeeming quality indeed. I don't think he realizes that being alive is a pretty good predictor of death. Better than diet coke consumption.

Santa, have you seen this shit

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...131(20)30057-7

Is it just me, or did these geniuses overlook the fact that MALTODEXTRIN HAS A MUCH FUCKING HIGHER GI SCORE THAN SUCROSE?!?

I don't know how true that is. Maltodextrin, or dextrins, are essentially digested starch and thus a polysaccharide whereas sucrose is a dissaccharide and more rapidly digested.

If I’m not mistaken, in the study they use an equivalent amount of sucralose vs sucrose with a control group being maltodextrin + sucralose. The conclusion they draw is that sucralose combined with a carb (maltodextrin) disrupts the metabolism.

How does this prove that the combination of sucralose and maltodextrin disrupts the metabolism more than maltodextrin alone?

The interwebs is telling me that sucrose has a GI score of 65 and maltodextrin ranges between 85-100. What am i missing?

Even still, it looks like this yale study has not accounted for the variation in GI scores.

Part of the issue is that GI scores assume that macronutrient composition of one sample of food is the same as another when this can vary. Second, glucose tolerance varies from one person to the next and can vary between genders, ethnicities etc. Either way, consuming a pure monosaccharide or disaccharide is always going to result in more rapid digestion and absorption than a polysaccharide. Sucrose is 50% fructose, which is digested slower whereas maltodextrin is comprised of glucose chains so that could account for some of it. I might buy 85 but not 100.

Okay, assuming that, how can they then use maltodextrin+sucralose as the control group? We agree that Maltodextrin and sucrose are not digested the same way. Seems lile the conclusion is drawn from apples and oranges with no group for maltodextrin alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Okay, assuming that, how can they then use maltodextrin+sucralose as the control group? We agree that Maltodextrin and sucrose are not digested the same way. Seems lile the conclusion is drawn from apples and oranges with no group for maltodextrin alone.
    From the paper:

Since the Combo group was included as a control group, we did not consider including a control group exposed to maltodextrin alone in the initial study. However, given that consuming the Combo stimulus unexpectedly produced changes in brain and insulin response to sugar, we performed a follow-up experiment to determine if consuming maltodextrin alone caused changes in the insulin response during an OGTT. We found no evidence that consuming maltodextrin-containing beverages alters insulin sensitivity for either the first phase insulin response (time 0–30 min, t(14) = 0.86, p = 0.41) or the full 120 min OGTT period (t(14) = 0.55, p = 0.59) (Figure 2D). These results rule out the possibility that consuming maltodextrin alone accounts for the changes in insulin sensitivity observed in the first experiment.

starting strength coach development program
    I missed that, thanks doc. This is why i come here!

Also, i shouldn’t have read this on my phone ><

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast