starting strength gym

Thread: Will I keep making progress with these macros?

Default Will I keep making progress with these macros?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert,

Could you have a quick look at my macros and advise please?

Age/sex: 35 yr old male
    Training history: lots of endurance running/cycling/classes and some overly complicated lifting experience. Was doing a program before called new rules of lifting supercharged (its a book)
    Current weight and BF% estimate: 154lbs, at around 18%
    Current calorie and macro totals: 2660kcal = 170g P + 270g C + 100g F

Question
    Gaining weight at around 0.7 lbs/week, can continue to progress with my NLP with current macros or if you would advise any changes?
    My NLP progress is summarized by the attached graph. The slight squat back-off was because I wasn't hitting depth.

Thanks very much

I did the original New Rules of Lifting back in 2009 and ran the macro cycle 3 times to find out that my numbers stayed exactly the same. It was a useful program because it was the first time I kept a training log, which taught me that the program was nonsense. The other thing that I learned was that the strength phases were the only phases where I saw meaningful progress only to get off of them after 4-8 weeks and undo it. I found Rip halfway through my third run and never looked back.

To answer your question, you're going to need to keep upping those carbohydrates if you intend on getting that deadlift to 405 x 5 and squat to 315 x 5. I'd rather see 350 g/d vs 270 g/d. Fat and protein looks just fine.

NROL also taught me to keep a log and start to take my training more seriously - luckily I found you and Rip before my first cycle through though.

I will keep upping carbs up to 350 per your advise.

Thanks for all that you do! Your articles and podcast episodes were my trigger to do the program and eat at a surplus.

You are very welcome!