starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet soda

Default Diet soda

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Now that the whole insulin response deal with artificial sweeteners has been debunked is there anything wrong with enjoying a delicious, ice cold diet dr. Pepper... or several, for that matter?

Absolutely not. The Fang would be offended at the possibility that someone would suggest otherwise.

Thanks coach,

Its funny how many people, particularly fitness professionals, still think that artificial sweeteners are the devil and they “trick your brain” into an insulin response. People act like I’m smoking a cigarette when they see me with a diet soda in hand.

This has been debunked since when, late 2017?

Oh it's absurd. A third of the nation is overweight or obese and a fraction of these people abstain from diet soda in the name of being "healthy."

If you’d like some anecdotal n=1 evidence soda is my big vice to the point that when I switched from regular to diet a few years ago I lost 10 pounds with no other diet changes. Post LP I dropped close to 40 lbs (at 5’8 I went from 210ish to 170ish, now I’m back up to 185ish at more or less the same strength level for those concerned), and I drank a LOT of diet soda during the process. So have a Diet Dr. Pepper or 7!

Thats incredible, jake. Nice work man!

This is not an unusual result yet people still think it makes them fat. Love it

Brought this up at a work meeting today.

One coworker sent me a publication stated that sucralose was significantly disruptive to gut bacteria and he stated that aspartame and ace-k showed similar results. Thoughts on this, coach? Here is the article:

Revisited: Assessing the in vivo data on low/no-calorie sweeteners and the gut microbiota.
    Schiffman SS, et al. Food Chem Toxicol. 2019.
    Show full citation
    Abstract
    Over the last two decades, safety concerns about low/no-calorie sweeteners (LNCS) have been described in the archival scientific literature including elevated risk of metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, excessive weight gain, cardiovascular disease, safety, and disruption of the gut microbiome. A recent review by Lobach, Roberts, and Roland in Food and Chemical Toxicology examined 17 research articles on modulation of gut bacteria by LNCS along with other selected publications. In the conclusions of their paper, they claim that LNCS 1) do not affect gut microbiota at use levels and 2) are safe at levels approved by regulatory agencies. Both of these claims are incorrect. The scientific literature on LNCS clearly indicates that it is inappropriate to draw generalized conclusions regarding effects on gut microbiota and safety issues for compounds that vary widely chemical structure and pharmacokinetics. Scientific studies on the sweetener sucralose, used here as a representative LNCS, indicate that this organochlorine compound unequivocally and irrefutably disrupts the gut microbiome at doses relevant to human use. Results of dozens of additional research publications added and reviewed here also raise significant and extensive concerns about the safety of sucralose for the human food supply.

Copyright © 2019 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    PMID 31351100 [ - in process]
    Full text

This is in fact true but like most things vary from person to person.

starting strength coach development program
    I’ll make sure to take a probiotic after I crush a 12pack of DDP

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast