starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet soda

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I’ll make sure to take a probiotic after I crush a 12pack of DDP
    That's one way to deal it depending on the probiotic.

Your dentist might have something to say about it... sugar or no, the phosphoric acid in soft drinks* is hard on enamel.

* Old habits die hard. I grew up in the part of the world where, if you accepted an offer of "a Coke," they asked you "what kind?" and you replied "Dr Pepper" (or "orange Nehi").

Again, how much soda are we talking? A can or two per day is unlikely to jack up your teeth so long as you are brushing and flossing.

Thanks for clearing this up, Robert. I’ve heard the “diet soda tricks your pancreas” theory for years. It never make sense, particularly if my brain knows I’m not drinking sugar. I’m not one to let my pancreas boss my brain around.

There have actually been studies that have reported a glycemic response from smelling sugar. I dont' know how legitimate it is but I recall reading it. Diet soda definitely does not trick the pancreas though, that much we know.

Despite it being 'debunked', I still believe diet soda is a bad idea. Do what you enjoy, but if diet soda is the only way you can avoid obesity, you likely are living a life that will lead to metabolic disease or other medical conditions anyway.

Cigarettes with filters and diet soda drinks are similar in my mind; sure, they are enjoyable, but are you consuming it every day, in large amounts out of habit or because you really think it makes your life better? Did that "filter" or "diet" aspect really help you out?

I prefer coffee and tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Despite it being 'debunked', I still believe diet soda is a bad idea.
    I suspect that keeping the sweetness up and not allowing the palate to resensitize is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I prefer coffee and tea.
    You're not all bad, Yngvi.

I second what Stef said and would extend this to salt and added fats. The more extreme a flavor the more you crave it. Does this mean that you should never drink diet soda, eat diet ice cream, or enjoy pizza? Not at all, just means to be mindful of their effects on palate sensitivity. More fat/sugar/sweeteners/salt leads to more fat/sugar/sweeteners/salt, which could intern lead to excess weight gain and a higher risk of developing cardiometabolic diseases in the long run.
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 10-02-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Who debunked this “myth”? I’m just interested in reading about this.

starting strength coach development program
    Who proved it as fact is the better question.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast