starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Diet soda

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    We'll never consume enough to match the amount consumed in the rodent studies by which these claims originate from. It can piss off your gut microbiome though.
    According to this article, aspartame doesn’t make it to the colon and is less likely to piss off your gut biome, unless I’m misinterpreting something.

“Those that make their way to your colon, for instance—such as stevia, sucralose, and to some extent, saccharin—might be more likely to present problems, he says.” -Dr. Mattes

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    According to this article, aspartame doesn’t make it to the colon and is less likely to piss off your gut biome, unless I’m misinterpreting something.

“Those that make their way to your colon, for instance—such as stevia, sucralose, and to some extent, saccharin—might be more likely to present problems, he says.” -Dr. Mattes
    Which article?

First, aspartame itself does not reach the bloodstream fully intact but the phenyalanine and aspartic acid do after it is hydrolyzed. The methanol enters portal circulation and goes to the liver where it is converted to formaldehyde, which converts into formic acid and urinated out. There are data demonstrating dysbiosis mediated glucose intolerance in rats megadosed with saccharin, sucralose, and aspartame.

Second, there is microbiome located in the small intestines as well.

First, aspartame itself does not reach the bloodstream fully intact but the phenyalanine and aspartic acid do after it is hydrolyzed. The methanol enters portal circulation and goes to the liver where it is converted to formaldehyde, which converts into formic acid and urinated out. There are data demonstrating dysbiosis mediated glucose intolerance in rats megadosed with saccharin, sucralose, and aspartame.

Second, there is microbiome located in the small intestines as well.
    Whats your take on the possibility that aspartame is less disruptive then stevia, which does reach the colon?

It depends on the person. I actually have nothing against artificial sweeteners and consume them myself. But sure that’s plausible. More microbes to piss off.

Plus Stevia tastes like bigfoot’s dick

Certainly tastes like something I wouldn't want in my mouth. That would fit the criteria.

Again, how much soda are we talking? A can or two per day is unlikely to jack up your teeth so long as you are brushing and flossing.
    I disagree, sorta. Frequency and duration of exposure to acidic drinks will dictate the effect on tooth enamel. Sipping on "one or two" soft drinks including diet soft drinks throughout the day can definitely result in demineralization of enamel. Saliva along with brushing and flossing does a terrific job of "repairing" demineralized enamel if given the opportunity but that opportunity is not there if soft drinks are casually sipped over a long time period like an 8-5 job. (Now off dentist soap box)

I can find no redeeming quality in any soft drinks/sports drinks except taking up valuable space in my GI tract that could be used for real food or a more enjoyable liquid like beer.

starting strength coach development program
    My dentist told me once that people who get cavities often have good gums and people who don't get cavities often have gum problems. It's rare that we are exempt from both at least according to this dentist. So my advice there is if you have shitty teeth you may just wanna lay off carbonated beverages altogether. If you have shitty gums you're probably fine. Most importantly if you DGAF about diet soda like yourself then......don't.drink.it. For those that do, drink on and just take this all into consideration as you do.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast