starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best iOS nutrition tracker app for 2020 and 2021?

Default Best iOS nutrition tracker app for 2020 and 2021?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What's the best app currently for tracking my nutrition? I searched and reviewed the forum and saw several recommendations, and downloaded MyNetDiary. But, while it's a decent app, it's not going to work for me as it only reports calories, it won't give me a list of all nutrients and macros. I'm looking for something that will also give me my proteins, carbs, fat, etc. on one page, without having to pay the subscription fees for the extra features. Does one exist, and if so, which is best that will give me this? Thanks.

Steve

It gives you all of the macros? I purchased it years back for this purpose. I think the subscription rates have increased since I got it though. MyFitnessPal always works. Not my favorite but it integrates with TrueCoach so I deal with it.

Thanks Robert, I'll tryout the free version and see if it'll work. I really don't want to buy an app for this and especially not subscribe though. All I really need is something handy I can use for a short while to teach me how to plan my meals wrt calories, protein, carbs, etc. With my life so far, being a retired vet, and jobs since up to now, I was always active enough and had high enough metabolism I never had to worry or give second thought to a diet or what I ate or drank. But now that I'm older, I'm realizing I need to learn how to plan a week of meals so I don't short myself anywhere for NLP. And I refuse to follow the strict bodybuilder diet of bland chicken, brown rice and broccoli - yuck.

Bodybuilder diet is the most over rated tasteless excuse for a diet that I have ever seen. Most apps will let you track everything they'll just charge you to customize the macros. The RP app is real popular but is a pay app, however, it does tell you when to adjust it based on your goals. So it has that unique feature.

Carbon Coach is one developed by Layne Norton. It is a pay app. On the plus side, it coaches you as well as tracks food. So you can focus on weight gain, weight loss, maintenance, or reverse dieting. Very easy to use and flexible versus using RP.

Probably good as well. Just learned about it

Thanks for the tips. A pay app I don't mind so much if it's a one time purchase. But subscription based apps I refuse to do or become a slave to; too bad these two are subscription based as they look pretty good.

They basically auto adjust for you vs just track. Its like you have a virtual coach so it's a bit more than MFP or MND

Just following up to close out this thread to say I found the app I was looking for, and settled on My Macros+. It's only $3 one time expense which allows me to track my macros first (calories second) and syncs across my mobile devices. All this without having to pay a subscription fee to see other than calories.

This said, I got it setup and used it for the first time today, using the rough "guidelines" in the Barbell Prescription book, and kind of adjusting the target goals for my age and weight - 59yo and 230lb (probably 30%). I was so far off today it's terrible and might help explain some of why I had to slow to 2.5lb increases so early in my program. All along I thought my macros were fine or reasonably close, but with excessive calorie intake (I like to eat). What I found out instead was my calories were over by 500, which I expected, my protein was short by 150gm, and carbs were more than double what they should've been, over by 315gm. The only positive maybe was my fat was 37gm under my target.

This app is teaching me exactly what I need to learn now, that I'm really going to have to start working on finding more high volume and quality proteins, and cut back on the grains and maybe milk to bring carbs down. Everything else I'm good with, but low proteins and high carbs are blowing it for me and cutting back my muscle growth which at this age is something I need all the help I can get.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Just following up to close out this thread to say I found the app I was looking for, and settled on My Macros+. It's only $3 one time expense which allows me to track my macros first (calories second) and syncs across my mobile devices. All this without having to pay a subscription fee to see other than calories.

This said, I got it setup and used it for the first time today, using the rough "guidelines" in the Barbell Prescription book, and kind of adjusting the target goals for my age and weight - 59yo and 230lb (probably 30%). I was so far off today it's terrible and might help explain some of why I had to slow to 2.5lb increases so early in my program. All along I thought my macros were fine or reasonably close, but with excessive calorie intake (I like to eat). What I found out instead was my calories were over by 500, which I expected, my protein was short by 150gm, and carbs were more than double what they should've been, over by 315gm. The only positive maybe was my fat was 37gm under my target.

This app is teaching me exactly what I need to learn now, that I'm really going to have to start working on finding more high volume and quality proteins, and cut back on the grains and maybe milk to bring carbs down. Everything else I'm good with, but low proteins and high carbs are blowing it for me and cutting back my muscle growth which at this age is something I need all the help I can get.
    Thank you, I will give this a try as I think it would help me too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast