starting strength gym

Thread: Kidney Stones

Default Kidney Stones

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert,
    What is your general recommendations for avoiding kidney stones? Had one last year, Dr wants me to decrease sodium and oxalates, and eat less then 100 grams of protein. Well thats not very conducive to our lifestyle. So i guess my plan would be to try and eat less animal protein and make up the difference with eggs, dairy, and protein powder? And then try and drink as much as possible? I've been decent on that. Last two 24hr urinalysis's have been between 3.5-4 Liters. Any thoughts? Thanks

You are going to have to drink lots of water and mix in some plant proteins since high amounts of animal protein can exacerbate it.

Make sure you are never dehydrated and don't eat a whole lot of raw spinach -like I did, and got kidney stone number two, doh. For reference I got my first stone at 23 and my latest at 57. I've never heard about avoiding animal protein, so have never done that. Painful, bloody nuisance are kidney stones. First one I ended up in hospital, the second, I just drank lots of tea and walked around in circles until the pain went away -about 8 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You are going to have to drink lots of water and mix in some plant proteins since high amounts of animal protein can exacerbate it.
    Robert, will whey protein powder contribute or would it be an ok way to increase protein? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Nessland View Post
    Robert, will whey protein powder contribute or would it be an ok way to increase protein? Thanks
    Yes but not 5 shakes per day. 2 is fine though.