starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition advice for beginner doing NLP

Default Nutrition advice for beginner doing NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I just started the SS program, with 6 workouts in the books. Im 6’2, 239lbs. Im skinny fat, lean arms and legs, with my fat all in my midsection. FYI, my squat is at 160, press at 85, bench 125, and dead is 250.
    I started to diet when I started my NLP, but not to the point of weighing my food. Im just trying to eat as clean as possible, by focusing on eating protein with every meal, eating a-lot of fruit, and good carbs. Whole foods as much as possible. Eggs, strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas, blue berries, natural peanut butter, wheat bread, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, steak, shrimp, sweet potatoes, reg potatoes, chicken, white rice. Drinking whole milk, maybe a half gallon a day at most. Im a pipefitter/welder, so Im on my feet 8 hours a day, but i drink lots of water. I also get two breaks a day, which gives me time to eat a mid morning/ mid afternoon snack.
    At this point in my training, do I need to keep my focus on what Im doing and get stronger and worry about my weight as I progress. Or is my weight concerning enough to start thinking about carb/fat intake and maybe limiting my carbs to around training time?

Have you missed any lifts yet? I'd say that given the amount that you are lifting you just need to lift more to become less skinny fat. A 405 x 5 deadlift will do it quick.

I forgot to mention that Im 30 years old. No, I haven’t missed any lifts yet, however, my deadlift slowed down a bit so I switched to a five pound jump my last workout along with my squat. Is there a particular reason you asked me if I missed a lift yet?

If you are making progress under the bar keep making progress under the bar and clean up any excess fats in your diet (e.g. oils, fried foods, empty calories such as chips, cookies, etc, switch to lowfat or nonfat dairy). I would not cut carbohydrates or attempt an aggressive restriction. You aren't that strong right now so you need to get that strong so that your body can start undergoing changes.

Okay. Now if progress were to slow, and rest/recovery, and protein consumption are adequate, would eating more carbohydrates help?

Yes, eating more carbohydrates would absolutely help. Especially when it starts getting hard.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks answering my questions. I think I can speak on behalf of everyone who reads this forum and say thanks. We really appreciate your advice, knowledge, and insight that you give us here on the forums(for free). I wish I could thank you or any of the other SSC coached by paying for online coaching, but its just not feasible for me now. However, that won’t stop the training