starting strength gym

Thread: New to SS NLP and obese. IF and EF

Default New to SS NLP and obese. IF and EF

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My name is Chris Williams and this is my first post on the forums. I just installed the app yesterday and did my first workout today. I am 38 6’1” 330. Today my squat was 225, press was 115, and deadlift was 225. I have been as high as 430 lbs and as low as 260 but I broke my leg and as I was recovering broke my ankle so I gained 70 back. I am just getting back into lifting and look forward to getting stronger.

I have recently been exposed to Intermitment fasting and Extended fasting as a means of therapeutic hormonal treatment and applied for weight loss. I have always preferred to lift on an empty stomach early in the morning. I know I need to be in a caloric deficit and just wondered if anyone had applied fasting to their SS program.

Thanks, I look forward to continuing to build my numbers back up to where they have been in the past and beyond and getting my weight down to lower than it was in high school.

First, congrats on the massive weight loss. Not marginal by any means!

Second, have you filmed your deadlift? Something tells me it should be much higher than 225 if you are squatting it.

Third, you can probably get away with fasting provided you have enough total protein for the day because you have plenty of fat stores to fuel you. My concern is the potential for glycogen depletion, which could impair performance so as the lifts get harder you will want to time some carbohydrates around your workout time. It's one of those things I can't exactly answer right now and we'll know more as the weight gets legitimately heavy.

Thanks Robert, it has been a lot of work and I am thankful for what I can do now that I never dreamed of doing and continue to look forward to doing so much more.

Just getting back into lifting I tried to stick to the "first workout" template yesterday, I have deadlifted as high as 550 (before I broke my leg I was working toward 600 as a goal and would still like to see that).

As I progress I will be sure to track how I feel in my daily log on a scale of 1-10 before I start lifting and after. As the weights go up if that number is consisitently low then I will start to think of nutrient/workout timing.

Which template are you referring to? The Blue Book explicitly states that your deadlift needs to be far ahead of your squat at the start of the program. Anytime I've coached someone this is ~75-100 lb within a couple of weeks and ~50-75 lb at the end of the SSNLP. If you've pulled 550 lb in the past then it's not unreasonable to have your baseline pull somewhere closer to 275-300 lb. How is your leg now???

You are correct, given your prior levels of strength it will be a while before fasting will create any issues. So I'd recommend staying very compliant with total calorie restriction to ensure you can maximize fat loss before the lifts get hard.

Robert,

First thank you for reading and responding. Thoughtful and helpful for sure.

Sorry, “Template” was unclear. I started using the app for my first workout. On the app it starts at 95 lbs and you are to work up, 225 was easy. I planned on starting higher and working up further on Monday when I train again. My leg feels fine and I don’t see a problem with being north of 315#.

I have read the excerpts from the “Blue” book that are provided on the app but I have ordered the book itself and the Practical Programming for Strength Training.

You are very welcome. Get that pull up quick and then run the program as intended. The book itself will be a helpful tool. If you still get stuck, locate a live coach for a tune up or consider online coaching. Hope this helps man!

Just wanted to update you that I did pull 315 for 5 today on the DL.

starting strength coach development program
    Much better man. Your body will start changing for the better as that lift goes up