starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie in Need of Help

Default Newbie in Need of Help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all!
    First post, brand new member, going to be reading Starting Strength during my business trip next week, but have already read the section on nutrition.
    I'm all-in on the approach and method etc. so not worried there. Will be getting 1-on-1 coaching on form locally in NC as well.

I may have missed this, but the nutrition section seems light on specifics, and since I understand that nutrition is 80-90% of results for this or any program, how should I adjust my initial caloric intake?

Stats:
    Age 29
    Weight 167
    Height 5' 10"

Lifts from doing 1 day of SS (to estimate current totals):
    Squat - 155
    Press - 55
    Deadlift - 165
    Bench - unsure yet

All pathetic.

More background:
    I was on a crazy 1000 cal deficit (1700 cal total) and ended up losing roughly 1.5-2 pounds per week, working out 3-4 times per week (2 runs, 2 gym sessions). Don't ask - was trying to strip down a little mid-section weight that made me feel uncomfortable in my clothes. I'm not a big guy anyway but....in retrospect would've just been better to do this program, get bigger clothes, and not worry about it.

Based on the above, this indicates to me that maintenance is 2700, and to do well on this program, my cal total should perhaps be 3000-3300?
    I looked around for macros based on an article linked in the forum, and an article from Art of Manliness (Starting Strength inspired I think). Right now I have 2g/lb carb, 200-250g protein, .5g/lb fat. Equates to 337/230/102 (C/P/F).

Not afraid of carbs, not afraid of eating and lifting heavy. Just need guidance on how much, and approximate macros (if it's advised to even track that at this point).

Thanks very much in advance to all - love Rip and been binge watching his Q&A and form guides on Youtube.
    TeslathefutureTank

Thanks Robert, and I promise, I did read that. But I also know that individual needs vary.

That being said, based on the general guideline at the bottom of the article, would it be wise to just hit 4k calories right out of the gate and see how I do? Do you have any recommendation on macros?

Think I already know your answer but just trying to get any specifics I can.

Start in the middle of that range and scale it based on your response. If you are looking for an individualized meal plan then I'm happy to chat about consults or coaching.

Thanks Robert!

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome.