starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition advice for a beginner on SS?

Default Nutrition advice for a beginner on SS?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there,

I have just entered into my second week of Starting Strength as a way of recovering from an elbow fracture. During the recovery, I regained a lot of weight I lost in the previous year and SS combined with a light cardio routine is my way of regaining my strength capabilities again. For reference, in the last year, my waist went from 44 to 38 and my weight went from 22 stone down to 17. Now after recovering, my waist is 40 and my weight is now 19 stone. According to my doctor, my BF% is about 30% I can put this down to a huge increase in dairy(very pushy mother) and a lot of stress eating.

Now, my diet for being on starting strength is aimed to be around 2500 to 3000 calories to be able to build my muscle back up. I have a lot of protein intake with my breakfast having bacon, eggs and porridge made with whole milk; lunch usually being some kind of Sandwich, today's had 1 whole chicken breast and some salad, and an apple; and dinner usually consists of some sort of stew or pasta dish with a small slice of cake for dessert.

I am on a student budget currently so the quality of the ingredients probably aren't the highest of quality but I do my best to eat well and keep myself well fed. I rely mostly on stew recipes my mum taught me (I'm in Scotland) to keep costs down and keep calories up.

Is there any sort of adjustments you would make to my diet to help me build muscle and lose a bit of my excess body fat in the process. My intention right now is to follow Rips advice and get strong before cutting weight.

Age/Height/Lifts?

Sorry, I forgot to add those.

I am 19, 6'5" and my lifts are:

Squat: 60kg
    Press: 30kg
    Bench: 37.5kg
    Dead: 90kg

I think that right now you need to leverage the weight you have and get those numbers up. For your height 19 stone and a 40" waist is likely not terrible. Hard to say without seeing you of course but I do think gettin those squats and deadlifts up will change that body composition real quick. At your age, the extra weight will be used productively.

Thank you for your response.

Most of my weight post recovery has went to my stomach, which I am greatful for because that's the place I lose from the quickest.

I have been putting the numbers up by 5kg/2.5kg per workout but I burned out on really quick so I am reducing to 2.5/1.

I never really realised I had an advantage because of my age, I assumed that I was in fact at a disadvantage because of my reconstructed elbow and loss of movement. I will do my best to correct my attitude and carry on the way I am right now.

starting strength coach development program
    Reconstructed elbow is worse if you are 59 than 19. So hang in there and do what you can with what you have available. Expect to do 0.5 kg jumps on the press when the LP gets real hard later on.