starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition while on a program pause for 3 weeks.

Default Nutrition while on a program pause for 3 weeks.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Robert,

I am a farmer going into harvest season. It will be approximately 3 weeks long. I will not have time to do the program during this time.

What should I be doing nutrition wise while on this pause?

I have been doing the program consistently for a little over 2 months:

Height: 6’2”
    Weight: 243
    Waist: 41”

Program: NLP

Squat:135> 325 lbs
    Press: 70>145lbs
    Bench: 155> 205 lbs
    Deadlift: 175>375 lbs
    **my deadlift stalled for a short period because I got greedy and set back back on track now**

I have not been doing power cleans, mostly because I have never done them before and I do not have someone locally to coach me on the proper technique. I don’t want to be caught doing upright rows.

Currently not doing chins as I cannot do one. Instead I am doing 3x5 dips and 80lbx3x5 lat pulls.

I also will row at about 100 watts a couple times a week, mostly because I enjoy it.

Nutrition:

150-200 grams of protein per day depending on farm schedule. Hard to go get extra food in the middle of a field while on a tractor. Working to up it to 250g/day.

About 3500-4000 calories per day. Though I have been eating less since I have not been training as consistently this last week while getting ready for harvest.

Sleep:
    7-8 generally. Though the last two weeks I have had some issues with sleeping, not unusual for me at this time of year.

I will be starting the program again as soon as the last bushel is out of the field.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Are you completely stopping or cutting to 1-2x/wk/"Getting in what you can" etc?

I'd suggest no more than a 10% calorie reduction with cessation of training but no more than that. Your job is still pretty physically demanding so you have to keep your calories and protein high so you can minimize muscle loss.

Completely halting strength training. No time to warm up properly, so no time to work out. I will get in what I can in terms of dips, rows, etc, but nothing programmed, just exercise.

How much time do you have to "exercise?" I've been in this situation myself and may have a better solution to offer.

I will have about 30-40 minutes 2-3x/week if I go at 5 am, which is a doable time for me.

Squat and Press one day and deadlift and bench press one day and superset the lifts. You should be out in ~40 minutes if you don't jack around on the warm ups. Especially on the deadlift day where you are only doing a single work set.

Would you recommend dropping weight since they are supersets?

Not if you can make the lift. You are supersetting upper with lower, should be fine. I PRed my press and deadlift this way a couple of weeks ago. Works just fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Just to add on, I occasionally have to superset due to time constraints, and an unintended (positive) consequence I have discovered is that alternating pressing and squatting really improves my shoulder flexibility for the squat grip. Not that it was really an obvious issue, but the difference is pretty noticeable.