starting strength gym

Thread: Whey Protein

Default Whey Protein

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello coaches.
    I started my LP about 7 weeks ago, and weighing around 200 lbs at 5'11 I've gotten just slightly fluffier around my belly than I was before.
    I associate this with the amount of calories I require to get my 200-220g of protein/day I think I should be getting, so I thought of whey protein as a good substitute for other more calorie dense foods.
    However, my doctor advised me against taking whey protein arguing that it can produce kidney damage.
    I already assume this is not true,and that she is just misinformed, but could you provide me with an explanation to why?
    Thanks in advance

This is untrue unless you already have kidney failure. This likely originates from the misconception that high protein intakes cause kidney failure. High protein intakes cause the kidney to filter faster because of the increase in urea production that accompanies a high protein intake. The kidney compensates by increasing glomerular filtration rate and also via renal hypertrophy, none of which is associated with an actual decline in kidney function in a healthy human. Now, in diseased and thus malfunctioning kidneys, it can accelerate the progression of chronic kidney disease because there are fewer functioning nephrons to handle the increased urea load. The short of it is that a functioning kidney will adapt to the stress physiologically and not pathologically in healthy humans.

Thank you so much for the quick and thorough answer, coach.
    Guess I'll be just fine if I add a couple of scoops to my milk in the morning.

It's amazing how ill informed of diet people so highly educated on the human body can be. A few years ago I had read the US government recommended 5 servings of fruit per day, and having a sweet tooth I decided to eat around 5 bananas a day and kill two birds with one stone. I told my doctor what I was doing (specifically because it was healthier than processed sweets) and he said, "be careful, don't get too much sugar." It was a facepalm moment. I mean, you don't see people exactly dropping dead from a little soda and sweet tea per day, but a few pieces of fibrous fruit a day? Watch out!

I could see these in a future "Sh*t Doctors Say" video. I've been hoping he does another one. I think a series of them would be a good idea!

Fruit phobia is do disturbing. Transitioning to more fruit to correct a sweet tooth is highly effective. I hope that you fired that doctor.