starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of better nutrition

Default In need of better nutrition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone. I’m in a bit of some help. Around August I ended my SSLP. My numbers were good for me and my body was feeling beaten up. I searched for a new program outside the starting strength realm but found that what I was left with was not much. Part of my decision to end my LP was my weight. I had hit 200lbs but it was more fat than anything else. I was told I needed to eat more so I did but looking back I took it as a pass to eat everything I wanted. My diet sucked and it still does in many ways. Recently I’ve had some time to read more than normal and I am half way through a book by Robb wolf about eating and health. I have enjoyed the book and the information in it, the down side is he pushes for a paleo style diet. I did a search and see it’s not recommended for starting strength while on LP. I was hoping to get some advice or books I could get to help advance my nutrition? I tried a workout with little to no carbs and I see why that is a bad idea.

My stats are: 34 year old male, 5ft 10, 189 lbs
    Squat was 4x260lbs now is 5x230lbs
    Press was 4x108.5lbs now 5x97 lbs
    Deadlift was 4x275lbs now 5x265lbs
    Bench was 5x163.5 now 5x160lbs

In general, based on what you are reporting I would expect mostly fat gain given the loads lifted in relation to your BMI at the time. Just think about it, a 275 lb deadlift at 200 lb is not remotely heavy. So I suspect that the weight gain was probably too rapid and your calories were likely not balanced properly. Common error people make on this program. In general, you need to do the following:

1) Start the program with the deadlift way ahead of your squat and ramp it up faster than your squat.

2) Deadlift 3 times per week until you can't

3) Keep your carbohydrates and protein high and keep your fats moderate.

Rinse, lather, repeat. If you need more specific advice I'm available for consults and/or long-term coaching.

I did my second week Monday and my deadlift was 265 struggled to get it off the floor on rep 2 but after some grind I hit the rest of the 5. I was going to add in the power clean on Wednesday’s but if you recommend to continue with the deadlift till I start to fail I will continue. My squat is at 235 while the deadlift is 265.

You either started the squat too heavy or ramped up the deadlift too slow. Did you video it? It’s probably faster than you think

Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 1: Perception vs Reality | Robert Santana

Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 2: The Arms | Robert Santana & Mark Rippetoe

Here is my 265lbs deadlift and my 270lbs deadlift

YouTube

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    Here is my 265lbs deadlift and my 270lbs deadlift

YouTube

YouTube
    Each and every one of those reps went forward off the floor. You are also setting up way too far forward, which is likely why this is happening. That being said, the weight is not heavy. You have more in you just rock back, dig the bar tight into your shins and drag it up.

Mr. Santana thank you very much for the advice. Today when I deadlifted I focused on pulling the bar up my shins. I put 280 on the bar for my working set. I tried pulling and the bar didn’t budge. I tried again pushing into my heels and got it up and locked out. Reps 2-5 came off the floor easily and each rep the bar dragged up my shins. I can tell you that 280 felt easier than 275 last week. I’m sure my form isn’t 100% but it’s definitely feeling improved thanks to your advice. I’ll try to get another video for a form check next time. Thank you again for all the advice.

Glad to hear it buddy. The deadlift alters your perception more than any other lift so as it gets heavier expect the bar to take longer to move. Keep us posted with video

Sorry it took a bit to achieve this and get it on video. I can tell my back isn't set the best around rep 3-5.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    No worries! This isn't heavy for you but you aren't keeping your back locked. You need to pull the arms and hands straight before pulling. Watch your elbows. When you start pulling your arms extend straight and your back rounds. Pull the arms up with the chest and push down hard through the feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast