starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visceral fat

Default Visceral fat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert, might be a silly question but is there anything specific that would help reduce visceral fat quickly? Just had my gallbladder out and the surgeon made a point to advise me I had very excessive visceral fat around my organs. I don’t look fat just solid. For context, 57, 5’8”, 230lbs. In terms of training, my last DL set pre-op was 440lbs, I’m assuming I may ? lose some strength if I tackle this visceral fat problem aggressively.

Reducing your caloric intake reduces total body fat, which includes visceral fat. Not sure what else there is to say there unless you are looking for surgical options.

Thanks Robert, no magic pill then just same old discipline

Yes sir.

I'm sure Robert will think it is quakery but Sean Omara focuses on visceral fat. You might want to check him out. He uses diet but also focuses on sprinting.

No real good way to test and measure something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    No real good way to test and measure something like that.
    He is using MRI scans to measure the visceral fat. His claim is that Sprinting is the key, the diet alone doesn't get rid of it. I don't think it could hurt to try and sprints shouldn't be a negative towards training goals since they are relatively short and explosive.

It might interfere with a squat day as they are demanding, but if the problem needs to be resolved then training goals might need to change for a while.

He isn't measuring it he is estimating it from an algorithm. MRI is an indirect measurement like all other body composition tests. There are assumptions made when using indirect measurements, with some broader than others.

Post DEXA Scan

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Hi Robert, might be a silly question but is there anything specific that would help reduce visceral fat quickly? Just had my gallbladder out and the surgeon made a point to advise me I had very excessive visceral fat around my organs. I don’t look fat just solid. For context, 57, 5’8”, 230lbs. In terms of training, my last DL set pre-op was 440lbs, I’m assuming I may ? lose some strength if I tackle this visceral fat problem aggressively.
    Hi there,

If a DEXA is available in your area, I can't recommend getting a DEXA scan highly enough. You can get your initial scan, and then wait a year and get a new scan. The percent error is 0.1%, at least when I had BodySpec do mine. When you get your results, ask what a reasonable visceral fat reading is. Mine showed that I have 0.54lb of visceral fat in that area, so I need to follow up and call/ask just how bad that is. On the report, they said it needs to be as close to zero as possible.

DEXA will also scan your total lean tissue composition, and you'll also find out how much your skeleton weighs. It's very interesting stuff.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I've gotten 4 scans done since 2017.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brinethery View Post
    Hi there,The percent error is 0.1%, at least when I had BodySpec do mine.
    I understand that they claim that, but how do they know? 99.9% as accurate as a comprehensive dissection sounds suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by brinethery View Post
    When you get your results, ask what a reasonable visceral fat reading is. Mine showed that I have 0.54lb of visceral fat in that area, so I need to follow up and call/ask just how bad that is. On the report, they said it needs to be as close to zero as possible.
    So they're asserting that fat within the abdomen has no positive effects? In any way? It's all maladaptive poison?

To put this in proportion, 8.6 oz of fat is pretty darned small - you're talking half a brick of lard from the baking aisle of the grocery store, or two sticks of butter. I've pulled more fat than that out of deer during hunting season. (Yes, I like to keep it, render it, and cook with it.). They're not human beings, of course, but they are smaller than a grown human being, so I'm a little skeptical at this whole thing.

DEXA joints are trying to sell you on DEXA, after all. I'd want to know how they justify both their descriptive and prescriptive reports, aside from their ad copy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast