starting strength gym

Thread: Reactive Hypoglycemia

Default Reactive Hypoglycemia

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert, a while back you gave me some great diet advice for NASH and Pancreatitus.
    Here is the link to that thread.
    Pancreatitis and NASH diet ?

Today's stats:
    Now age 48, body weight is down to 240.
    Lifts have been soso lately with tons of travel for work. Now that I am back home for a bit I am trying to get back to the grind lifting 2X a week along with rock climbing at the gym 1X a week.

Then came another kick in the ass. I may have reactive hypoglycemia. Oncologist and PCP have me getting tested accordingly. Sugars multiple times have dipped below 50.
    I wonder about daily diet but also how to eat on lift and climbing days when i need more energy. Normally i would eat some oatmeal with my eggs so i would have good carbs for strength training and protein for growth.
    The other day I had oatmeal and holy cow 10 minutes later sugars dropped to 47. Not fun.

I researched the internet and well that was pointless. Way too much B.S. keto, primal, paleo, vegan and the list goes on. . . .
    Do you think I should just try to continue to adhere to the original game plan you gave me , just in stricter form or more protein less carbs or something different?
    As always Thanks!!!!
    Sparky

Reactive hypoglycemia is going to require some trial and error and long term follow up so I can't really give you a specific set of recommendations. What I will say is that you should up the protein you eat with your carbohydrates and see what that does. You can't do "no carbs" but you can't do "too many carbs" either.

Congrats on getting that weight off! How is the deadlift these days??

Hi Robert, Thanks so much for the reply! Makes sense. Good carbs and don't go overboard and see how it goes. Nice and Simple.
    It’s funny, yesterday I had some oatmeal again, just not as much and some eggs just a bit more egg white for protein. I felt great all day. Mid-morning I had Greek yogurt and then went down into the basement and lifted. First time I tried to do heavy sets in a while. Heavy for me anyway.
    SQ: 275x3x5, 315x5
    OHP: 135x5x5 (building climbing shoulders)
    DL: 315x5, 365x3, 400x1 (so not too bad considering the long layoff)
    and then snuck in some heavy curls for girls.

As far as my deadlift goes it was on the right track and I got up to 435x5 and also pulled 545 for 1 with a trap bar. Unfortunately travel picked up quite a bit for work. I am based in the northeast in CT and flew out west multiple times to LA, SF and then out eat to Poland & the UK. This fall I travelled 5 out of 6 weeks.
    This all got me to thinking. If all of the travel, which sucks the life out of a person along with long stressful hours at work, coupled with different types of diets in Europe (I swear they drink butter and wash it down with Vodka in Poland) maybe this is a culmination of everything? A perfect storm of disaster considering my existing ailments. trying to use critical thinking skills for once.
    I have travel coming up in a couple of weeks in December to Europe and in the U.S. again, so I plan on using the My Fitness app to keep track of macros and calories to keep me in check. I am also going to try and follow your advice from a past video to basically cut meals down in size when eating out (which is all the time on the road). Hopefully this helps.
    Next time I fly out to LA for work I am going to try and drive out to AZ to check out your new gym. I have driven to AZ multiple times from CA before. Your new Gym looks great, best of luck man you’re a great coach!
    Sparky

Thanks and I hope to have you by. You'll love the place.

That makes sense about the deadlift. Just make sure it's ahead of the squat on your progression. Your travel plan sounds good. Alway assume meals out provide 2-3x the fat calories you likely need from a single meal.

May take a while longer to get Deadlift up. Got hit bad with Cervical radiculopathy AKA bitch of a pinched nerve in my neck. Good stuff. Every two steps forward i take 3 back and yet.....I am still the strongest I have ever been so it will just take a little longer to get those numbers up. I will keep grinding toward my 200/300/400/500 sticker. After a couple of weeks of prednisone and travel for work I will be back at it.
    Sparky

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like a plan. It's a marathon not a sprint. You'll get it done.