starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk mattresses

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    What has your experience been? My neck and shoulders were killing me on an extra firm.
    fwiw, the mattress salespeople recommended a firm bed, but with a layer of foam on top to add a level of cushion/forming to your body to alleviate some of the issues. I'm thinking extra firm, then just purchasing a foam topper if needed.

Anyone have recommendations on brands? How much difference does 3,000 coils vs 1,000 coils make? Worth the extra $1500-2000k ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    What has your experience been? My neck and shoulders were killing me on an extra firm.
    Try it in combination with extra firm pillows high enough to take pressure off the shoulders and put the neck in a neutral position (for side sleeping).

It took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable with the switch, but I felt better after the adjustment period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Nessland View Post
    Anyone have recommendations on brands? How much difference does 3,000 coils vs 1,000 coils make? Worth the extra $1500-2000k ?
    I don't know about number. Simmons is very good - the individual coils are much better than the ones that are tied together -- but longevity is a factor with heavier people.

Purple is the latest thing in WF.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    My preference is the same as yours, but would you explain why you disagree, Stef?
    It just works better. The soft mattresses I have experienced have always sagged - this may be a brand issue - so that the edges ended up stiffer and middles caved. I don't move much when I sleep and I suspect that this is worse with memory foam - I wake up stiff and then shift on memory foam, but not if I sleep on the floor. I sleep directly on the floor a lot. Maybe about 1/3 of the time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    It just works better. The soft mattresses I have experienced have always sagged - this may be a brand issue - so that the edges ended up stiffer and middles caved. I don't move much when I sleep and I suspect that this is worse with memory foam - I wake up stiff and then shift on memory foam, but not if I sleep on the floor. I sleep directly on the floor a lot. Maybe about 1/3 of the time.
    I had a bad experience with soft coil mattresses. Right now I have a TempurPedic that is their softest, which is still firmer than a coil bed and it's heavenly. I do have a down comforter and firm-ish pillows though. So I may not be on a "extra soft" mattress by traditional standards but damn it's comfortable.

I've heard good things about Purple as well just FYI. Just heard that they may run hot. I forked up the cash a few years back for the Tempur because they had a breeze (cooling) option, which was new for memory foam. Not sure if the other brands caught on yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12