starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting fat and no muscle gain?

Post Getting fat and no muscle gain?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been doing SSLP for 5 months. My initial weight was 162, now i am sitting around 200 pounds. Height is 5'11"/6. Waist:37"-38" Neck:17" Squat:265 (i have kept it still for a few weeks until my deadlifts get to a decent number), DL:315. BP:170. PRESS:110. Macros:417/199/152.

I have finally weighed myself on an old weight scale and realized i'm kind of fat. Maybe i increased the muscle mass on my legs, but the changes in the upper body are minimal, at least in a good way. Most of the fat is stored in the stomach/love handles and legs, so it could be said that the majority of the weight increase is in fat, due to me not eating the required protein for about 3 and a half/4 months. Should i start eating maintenance calories? Cut the fat? Talking about the deadlift matter: should the increases be 10lbs? (of course, weekly) Should i prioritize getting 4x10 before i increase the weight in pullups? In advance, i thank you for your time and answering the stupid questions i constantly make, you deserve a place in heaven.

lol thanks for the kind words man. So first things first. Your fat intake is. too high and your body weight may also be too high for the amount of weight you are currently lifting. A 200 lb guy with a 5RM DL of 315, 170 BP, and 110 P isn't going to very lean. Just think about that from a practical standpoint.

Are you missing lifts yet?

I would scale back your fat and keep deriving up the lifts. Your upper body will look far different when you can Bench Press 200-225 x 5, Press, 135 x 5, Chin 10-15 reps, and deadlift 365-405 x 5. Right now the weight on the bar doesn't justify the bodyweight so your job is to change that by getting stronger.

Are you missing lifts yet?

No, not really. In the BP i have a problem to complete the 5/5/5 but i mostly get them at the next workout. In the press something similar happens, but the first time i tried to lift 120, it was impossible. This is all caused by 5lbs jumps. But i already got 2 chains that each weight 1 pound. And i will use them right away. On the nutrition side, i will be drinking 1% milk. This will leave me with almost the same macros, and 114g of fat. Looks to me like a decent start.

I’d say that’s a logical start. Smaller jumps on the bench press and sufficient carbs and protein from milk and the rest of your diet should take care of things for you.

Try to add the bench press and eat the diet which is full of carbs and protein which makes your life better and make your healthy gaining in weight and muscles.

Indeed it does

Do you find that FAT is the macro most often over consumed. My Protein and carbs seem pretty good, but I find it really easy to go over on my fat intake?

Big time. It's funny that everyone praises fat and blames carbohydrates when in fact most of the people that I have worked with have a very difficult time sticking to a moderate fat intake of 100 g or less. This is because the Western Diet is very high in fat and fat is difficult to avoid in today's food environment.

Starting to add egg white into my breakfast instead of only the full eggs. I used to just have 5 eggs sometimes twice a day, but the fat easily get's to 50g in just two meals.

starting strength coach development program
    Robert is it possible that diets like keto are so popular because they don't require exercise? So the carb intake is low all the time and the body will consume the fat instead? Or at least that's what i understand.

About the LP, i had a tough week (stress, bad sleep, one day i didn't get all the protein). I tried 320 a few hours ago and i couldn't lift it from the floor. In addition, i tried the hook grip and felt incredibly well, i used it on every warm up set and even the work set, sadly it didn't felt secure enough, at least enough to lift the bar from the floor, i guess it was due to lack of previous exposure to it. I'll repeat the weight and probably try it with the alternative grip (i also did, but i guess it wasn't a good idea because i didn't warm-up with it) on next friday. I have another question, is it to much of a problem switching gyms and plates? My gym is moving away so maybe i'll have to change to one with iron plates made in my city (which means not calibrated) and they are obviously heavier than the rubber /bumper plates i have been using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast