starting strength gym

Thread: Lady nutrition

Default Lady nutrition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My wife just started training with me. She's 31, 5'8", 155lbs. Just lifted for the first time 2 days ago, got up to 65lbs squat, 45lbs press, 100lbs deadlift.

She wants to get stronger and put on some muscle, but she's already carrying a little more body fat than she'd like, and is worried that a proper training diet will exacerbate this.

She's a lovely creature, and shouldnt be worried about this, but I've been trying to get a nutritional plan together for her that won't scare her too badly while still providing enough nutrition to stimulate her training progress. I guess what we're after here is that fabled "recomposition".

She's coming off of some fairly neurotic time-restricted, low-carb eating patterns, and I'd estimate her intake prior to starting training was around 1200-1500 calories a day, under 100g protein, at or under 100g carbs.

From various sources, these are the daily numbers I worked up for her new plan:
    176g protein
    192g carbs
    61g fat
    2021 calories

So, my questions:
    1) Generally, is this a good starting point for her?
    2) What's a reasonable rate of net weight gain for someone who wants to minimize fat gains during a novice LP?
    3) What macros should she adjust first if her progress is unsatisfactory for her (either weight increasing too quickly or strength is stalling), and by how much?

I know these broad questions are difficult to answer precisely, and that a lot of highly individual factors are involved. I'm just looking for some general guidelines so that she can feel secure and in control of the process. I love that she wants to train with me, and I want to make it psychologically sustainable for her.

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated.

Good luck convincing her to get that much protein. It would be amazing for her, but from my experience the ladies are hard to convince to even eat 1g/lb bw.

Thanks for sharing and we’re glad she took the plunge as well. She doesn’t need that much protein and 100-150 grams are probably sufficient.