starting strength gym

Thread: How should I continue

Default How should I continue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everybody,

This is my first post so be gentle

I've been training for 6-7 years, mostly PL & strength oriented training - or how I thought it was supposed to be.
    For the last 4.5 months i switched to Mark's methodology of training, nutrition etc. - First NLP and for the last month and a half I've been on the Texas method, and saw great progress compared to my training years before.

The on thing I've been struggling with is nutrition.
    I was always a hearty guy - reached a fat 225lb at 14 and after making a change and hiring a PT got to around 154 in a year & a half -which is when I started training at a gym.
    My weight has fluctuated during my last training years - as a result of me bulking and cutting each year, while my training numbers slowly got up.
    After starting NLP and realizing I needed to eat more, so I've increased my calories but as a result my BW increased real fast.

I'm at a point in training where progress is slowing (not for the right reasons I suppose) & I feel could make progress by eating more, but my BW will increase too - and I don't want to fatten up.

What should I do - increase my calories and milk those strength gains even more, cut until reaching a specific BW hoping I won't lose strength, or continue with my current eating and hope I still progress?

My stats:
    21 YO 5feet 8inch male
    lifting numbers:
    until starting NLP best all time lifts were SQ 330*1, DL 440*1, BP 230*1, P 140*1
    current lifts are SQ 320*5*5/340*5, DL 462*1, BP 198*5*5/220*4, P 137.5*5*5/143*5
    BW before beginning NLP was around 185, current is 207
    current calories are around 3000 - aiming for 200g of protein, and the rest from fats/carbs (some days are carb rich while others are fat rich)

Many thanks in advance

First, nice work here it sounds like you've been through the ringer. You're at a good bodyweight right now and I'm not sure that gaining more is going to equate to more weight on the bar and you are likely to gain more body fat. Just hold steady, push PRs, then cut back and recycle. Each time you do this you should be more jacked at a heavier bodyweight.

Thanks for the replay Robert.

I understand what you're saying, only thing is I'm not sure when to diet down and consequently dial down training stress.

Should it be when I stall on all my lifts (not sure it's even a possibility at my level of training), or when I hit certain training numbers or BW?

Many thanks in advance.

Pull 500 and squat 400 and see what happens. Small amounts of weight loss and weight gain (~5-10 lb) won't hinder your training provided you aren't running something like TM, it's the long big cuts that will do it.

Got it.

Thanks Robert.

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome!