starting strength gym

Thread: Training on a one meal per day diet

Default Training on a one meal per day diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6-3 230. Athletic 41 year old from Ohio.

About 2 years ago I was getting a little flabby and having some allergy and skin inflammation issues (dermatitis, eczema).

After some experimentation with various internet fad diets, I found that eating just one large meal per day really worked for me. I eat normal American food like steaks and chicken, bread, vegetables, potatoes, etc...but only once per day at dinner. My skin cleared up, I got off of the claritin and albuterol and I lost about 15 pounds of fat off my gut and chin.

At this point, I’m very adapted to this diet and I don’t get hungry or cranky with daily 22 hour fasts.

If I’m doing my normal routine with heavy deadlifts, presses and squats do you think this “one meal per day” regimen is a deal killer?

My numbers are steadily improving and I feel great.

Joe

You will have to try it and find out. I don't think that will work well if you are actually lifting heavy but you can try it and let us know if you experience otherwise. I wouldn't attribute those improvements to the fast either. Too many variables changing at once

Concur with Robert about too many variables changing, but a positive result is what's really important.

This program is about good technique and building strength ASAP. If you have other priorities the program is still exceptionally valuable, but you need to keep your goals in mind when embarking on any program.

Reducing calorie intake and limiting certain foods you may have a reaction to are both good ways to reduce inflammation, the fasting part may be correlation not necessarily causation. Fasting is a good tool in the diet toolbox for certain people (myself included).

One of best aspects of Starting Strength is the fast progression, but one of the correlating requirements is a generous dietary surplus of protein / carbs and micro-nutrients. The standard advice seems to be that this isn't the kind of programming to run while in a dietary deficit. There are other slower-progressing and less stressful programs to run if you want to keep body fat low, but don't expect the same progression (60 lbs of squat increases per month).

Honestly Joe I would break down whatever calorie requirements the smart people think are appropriate..i.e. 4000, then see if you can eat that in one meal... it gets pretty humbling if you are eating clean...

This is just numbers I got from somewhere else for an example (not saying they are the bible to follow)
    Total Calories per day* 3910
    Protein per day(grams) 290
    Fat per day(grams) 100
    Carbohydrates per day(grams) 470

IF you want to run this program long-term while condensing your meal windows you may want to divide your 4000 calories into say a 1500 calorie late lunch (3:00), work out at 5:00, eat 2500 calorie meal at 6:30.... just for example (this is not advice).

Those are pretty reasonable weight gain numbers for a hard gainer. You just made me think of how I've dealt with my weight loss clients in the past. LP until it stops, then "artificial intermediate" as I like to call it, then LP again when calories are re-introduced.