Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice Eating And Overthinking

Default Novice Eating And Overthinking

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert,

Male, 5'7, 150lbs, 27 Y/O

I work rotating shift-work where we transition from days -> swings -> nights over the course of every 3-4 months. I'm looking to gain back strength + BW. I've never actively counted macros or calories before.

I've been looking at starting up the Vertical Diet + a 1/2 GOMAD. I know the shift work is hard to deal with and I'm tired of making excuses. Looking to start with an easy actionable plan and since I don't have my next PT test until September 2020, it's literally all strength training and gaining weight from here on out.

Does a meal plan or habit building items enter into consult territory? Or would you recommend the Vertical Diet + 1/2 GOMAD to start with as I enter into my LP run?

I'm looking at doing this the right way.

Thanks for any advice!

Age/Height/Weight/Macros/Lifts?

If you follow vertical diet on 3K calories or more, including half GOMAD you will likely get sufficient nutrition to get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Age/Height/Weight/Macros/Lifts?

If you follow vertical diet on 3K calories or more, including half GOMAD you will likely get sufficient nutrition to get this done.
    27/5'7/150lbs/NULL/NULL

I was more worried about eating 14-16oz of red meat per day on top of the dairy but that's the fear-mongering media. I'm looking to get something super simple and easy to follow no matter what happens before I step foot into LP.

Meal 1: 5oz protein/1.5 cup rice/2 eggs/3oz OJ/3oz cranberry juice
    Meal 2: 5oz protein/1.5 cup rice/2 eggs/3 oz OJ/spinach + peppers + carrots
    Meal 3: 5oz protein/1.5 cup rice/2eggs/3oz OJ/spinach + peppers + carrots
    Meal 4: 5oz protein/1.5 cup rice/Carrots + Potato
    End Meal: 1 cup yogurt + fruit

I was also thinking of picking up a weight gainer like True Mass or ON Pro Complex Gainer for the mornings or when I can't heat up food at work.

So you are worried about your diet and you have not trained yet?

So you are worried about your diet and you have not trained yet?
    I see having the diet in place as a bigger priority than training. Programming can always come and go at will but having a solid nutritional plan in place provides stability...unless I have this all backwards. I’m hungry most days and couldn’t imagine trying to fit a workout on top of that, hence why I worked out the diet first.

You have to train before you can figure out what you need. Your diet is for an untrained lifter. You are on this board to get stronger right?

You have to train before you can figure out what you need. Your diet is for an untrained lifter. You are on this board to get stronger right?
    Well, you got me there Robert. I'll be signing up for Strength Club and starting my LP on Monday. I'll start off with 3 square meals and 1/2 GOMAD and go from there.

Best decision you could make. Keep us posted

Best decision you could make. Keep us posted
    For someone like me who overthinks things, would it be smart for me to count calories? Or just have 3 big meals with fruits + veggies and not worrying about weighing? I saw a video of Alan Thrall's bulk and was going to go based off that and not eat like the "Vertical Diet" as it's extremely straight-forward with red-meat every meal. I'm stuck in an office for 12 hours so convenience and simplicity is the key.

starting strength coach development program
    Counting calories for weight gain typically leads to fat overconsumption because it is the easiest way to accumulate calories. Count carbohydrates and protein and let fat fall where it does. That will work better for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast