starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Older skinny-fat caloric direction?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    The numbers you are referencing are hardly abs.
    Yeah I agree. I guess that's why I was confused when you cautioned against chasing abs and extreme leanness in your first reply, when there's a big (achieveable) middle ground between 39" WC and extreme leanness.

If he wants to drop a few inches that's fine but attempting to get to low bodyfat is probably not a good idea for most.

Agreed with this too. Aiming for something like 32-33" is probably doable without too much difficulty and gives plenty of room to grow while remaining under the 37" cutoff. But trying to get under 30" is probably not a good idea for most of us 40+ guys.

Thanks for the reply. Cheers

The numbers you are referencing are hardly abs. If he wants to drop a few inches that's fine but attempting to get to low bodyfat is probably not a good idea for most.
    When you say 'low' ?
    My scales have me at 24% and a rough check with a tape measure has me around 23%. That's a 37" waist/ 15.5" neck @ 5'7 1/2" I'm thinking 19% would be a good goal at 59, is there any studies to show that's not a healthy number at my age ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    When you say 'low' ?
    My scales have me at 24% and a rough check with a tape measure has me around 23%. That's a 37" waist/ 15.5" neck @ 5'7 1/2" I'm thinking 19% would be a good goal at 59, is there any studies to show that's not a healthy number at my age ?
    I'm sure there are 'studies' that say both. Stay under 20% and you're probably fine assuming you aren't walking around with a BMI on the low end of the normal range.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm sure there are 'studies' that say both. Stay under 20% and you're probably fine assuming you aren't walking around with a BMI on the low end of the normal range.
    I've calculated it would put me somewhere close to the very upper end of normal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12