starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing carbs while cutting

Default Managing carbs while cutting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, recently, I started a "cut" (caloric deficit) diet. Initially I've been going with the rather aggressive diet I used last year (before even discovering Starting Strength), but I'm finding that my strength is sapping away alarmingly fast. I'm having to drop weights down tremendously just to get my reps out. I'm guessing the culprit here is the lack of carbohydrates in the diet. It worked last year when I wasn't actually lifting anything all that heavy, but now it's bringing me down, even on an HLM program I've started with a deload and lower rates of overloading. So my question is, are there any smart ways to introduce some level of carbohydrates to make sure my muscles have the juice they need to get through workouts, without reducing the effectiveness of the cut? Are there certain carbohydrates that are better for certain times of day or times surrounding a workout? I've read half bodyweight in pounds in grams of carbs is a solid start point.

Height/Weight/Lifts/Macros?

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: In a bit of a flux. Was over 280 start of the year. First week of the diet had me about 276, one week later 271. It will probably be less than that when I weigh in this week.
    Best top work sets I got before the diet were: 285 squat, 350 Deadlift, 200 Bench, 130 press. All for five reps.
    Macros: I shoot for 200-250g protein daily right now. Carbs generally fall into the ballpark of 50g. Fats are incidental and I don't really track them. I don't really eat much fats right now though other than my eggs every morning.
    Should probably also add the age is 35. And the gender is male.

No male lifter with your numbers needs to restrict carbohydrates to 50 grams. The fact that you aren't tracking fat tells me that you are probably getting too much of it since that is the one macronutrient that requires the most attention since it is not visible to the naked eye in most instances. Keep your fat at 60 grams or less and your carbs at around 200 g/d and I'd be shocked if things don't turn around.

Really? I'll have to take stock. The only thing I could see myself getting fat from in a significant number is my daily egg breakfast.

Another disappointing workout today. In the future, whenever internet clowns gang up on you for defending carbs, feel free to recall my anecdote. I hope my grievous diet error can help others somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Another disappointing workout today. In the future, whenever internet clowns gang up on you for defending carbs, feel free to recall my anecdote. I hope my grievous diet error can help others somehow.
    Sir, you may need a coach. At least an online coach. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Make your next one less disappointing. You know what to do now.

Carbs work better than steroids

starting strength coach development program
    I had a man on TRT tell me that increasing his carbohydrates had a similar effect on his training as when he started on TRT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast