starting strength gym

Thread: Progression on Caloric Deficit

Default Progression on Caloric Deficit

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, First Post here. Wanna start with a big thank you to all for contibutions and responses. All good help and educational.

43 year old male, 5' 6", 200lbs.

Current Lifts: Deadlift 315lbs 1x5
    Squat 240lbs 3x5
    Bench 155lbs 3x5
    OHP 107.5 3x5

In 2018 I lost approx 80lbs. Went from 265 to 185 with the majority coming off in the first 7 months. Indoor rower in my basement and a strict diet got it done. Maintained and even hit 180lbs for 5 mins in 2019. I started incorporating resistance training at home and in Oct decide to push into lifting heavy (for me) and joined a gym for equipment. Oct to end of 2019 I lifted 3 times a week, saw good progress on my lifts and let go of my diet a little. I gained 15lbs but can see and feel that it was a good amount of muscle.

I want to continue to loose fat, and am now working with an approx 20% caloric defict. Since Jan 6, Ive been on 2k Cal a day and been hitting PR's consistently. I take it a bit easy as I'm on the older side but still add weight every week.

I've read a lot on here about folks needing to gain weight and hard gainers but not much about EASY gainers like myself. I know NLP is not a weight loss program, but wondering if there is any advice on trying to increase lifts and keeping a deficit?

My plan is to work the deficit for 4 weeks, eat at maintenance (apporx 2400 Cal per day) for 2 weeks and then do another 4 weeks on the deficit. Rinse and repeat. At the moment I'm down 3 lbs in 3weeks and feel that I'm experienceing a bit of recomp. I feel good and strong on my sessions. Anything to watch out for? Or thoughts on strategy to keep loosing a bit of fat but staying feeling good and strong? In for the long haul now, not expecting fast results. Slow and steady for a long time.

Thanks.

One of the assumptions of NLP is that you are in energy balance or a positive energy balance. This means that if you are in a negative energy balance at some point you will stall out. At that point, you need to move to a weekly LP until you finish out your weight loss then reboot NLP once energy needs are met.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    you need to move to a weekly LP until you finish out your weight loss .
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "weekly LP"?

Thank you for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by allanjgill View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "weekly LP"?

Thank you for your insight.
    HLM