starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just give me a number?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yea I forgot to add that I'm 5'9". See as a novice I wasn't sure what was really "heavy" and what wasn't so that was key. I was trying to do the best possible thing and not get stuck or overtrain. I figured I was gaining enough weight as well, so wasn't under muscled, but what you said makes sense. Apparently I'm still gaining less muscle to fat ratio than I need to be? I'll go back to deadlifting twice per week and see what happens. Thanks for pointing this out!

Just look at the data. You are 190 with close to a 40" waist and not lifting much over bodyweight. The heavier it is over bodyweight, provided not morbid obesity, the more stressful it becomes to recover from it. I have an article on this coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Just look at the data. You are 190 with close to a 40" waist and not lifting much over bodyweight. The heavier it is over bodyweight, provided not morbid obesity, the more stressful it becomes to recover from it. I have an article on this coming soon.
    So Wednesday night I was grinding out my 245 lbs deadlift, and my pecs had cramped so bad by the 3rd rep I had to stop. Couldn't get a lot of info on this but from what I could get it's probably due to poor posture during the lift. After the pecs finally calmed down I grinded out 2 more reps. Pecs weren't as bad, but looking in the mirror at my side to see what my back is doing (not going to be a long term habit) showed my upper back rounding, despite my very best efforts. My grip has also been getting weak and was at this point so weak it was slipping down my fingers on the last rep. As of today (Friday), my forearm tendons are NOT happy about me even typing this message.

I was not recovered enough for this 10 lb jump, and no way am I going to be for another one, and much sooner. At this point I'll need to move to 5 lb jumps, once per week (after I complete 245 for 5). Maybe something will happen and I'll be able to make another 10 lb jump a couple times later on. Right now it's just not going to happen.

As of today my weight is now holding steady at 188. I'm closely monitoring my weight and diet and I don't plan on getting much more fat (been there, never happening again).

Also, I really appreciate your going out of your way to help, even so far as to derail this thread. I really wish I could leave a much more positive looking response, and say "you were SO right and I was SO wrong, thanks for unexpectedly helping me boost my deadlift 50 lbs in 2 weeks!".

I can't do that though, and honestly I've seen so much evidence of others making slow and steady but long and drawn out progress on their deadlifts that I don't see the issue as long as I'm making progress on everything else.

starting strength coach development program
    Were you using chalk or a hook grip?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123