starting strength gym

Thread: Drowning in information - this is the plan.

Default Drowning in information - this is the plan.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi

I fear I am a bit overwhelmed for information, and I an crying out for something simple. This is my currently goal and plan, am I barking up the wrong tree or is it OK? I don't want perfection to get in the way of progress.

Current stats (forgive the metric).

Height: 178cm
    Weight: 125kg
    Frame: Larger frame. I have central obesity, but I am also very broad. Good mobility, and walk/cycle 40 mins each way to work and home again.

Training.

Today's workout will have me on (3x5 worksets of course):

Squat: 85kg
    Press: 55kg
    Deadlift: 110kg.

My last workout sets for Bench was 55kg, and Power Cleans was 55kg. This is out of whack, but rather then me piss around with it I was going to let the LP take care of how the numbers fall down the road.

The Goal/Plan

I wish to drop 20kg in body weight this year. Basically lose fat. I also want to improve my strength due to the health benefits. I realise these two goals may be at odds with each other. My plan is to eat roughly 2500 calories each day and do my SS LP. Once I stall in my LP, in that I am missing more and more reps, then I will shift to a weekly increase rather than on each workout. If that starts to stall as well, then I don't have a plan then, but I will deal with that when it happens. I don't know if it will or not before I lose 20kg. In terms of those 2500 calories, I will be mostly consuming chicken and beef as my protein, and potatoes and rice as my carbs. I snack on fruit. I'll probably eat some bread along the way, but I'm looking at that being 90% of my diet. I'm sure I'll swap out some pasta from time to time as well, but you get the idea. Roughly 2500 calories daily. Measure weights and tracking in myfitnesspal for consistency.

I believe SS LP is geared towards the underweight young adult, but is my plan stupid, or should it work if I give it time? I appreciate any input from the more experienced members.

Your plan sounds good to me. If you cannot progress weekly then you'll just have to reset and try again. You have plenty of time to do this so that reaching that point is unlikely. Now you just execute. The overweight/obese guy can benefit too, the trajectory is different and you should be able to gain strength while losing fat for a while before cutting becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Your plan sounds good to me. If you cannot progress weekly then you'll just have to reset and try again. You have plenty of time to do this so that reaching that point is unlikely. Now you just execute. The overweight/obese guy can benefit too, the trajectory is different and you should be able to gain strength while losing fat for a while before cutting becomes an issue.
    Great, thanks for the reassurance, Robert. After posting this I came across the episode of Starting Strength Radio "Barbells are Best for Aesthetics with Robert Santana", and that had a lot of good information in there too which I felt was relevant to me. So thanks for taking the time and putting that information out there.

You are very welcome.