starting strength gym

Thread: Fear of carbs

Default Fear of carbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

At the start of 2019 I was 250lbs, completely sedentary, 50" waist, and suffered from pre-diabetes, high BP, gout, sleep apnea, hunchback, and severe acid reflux all day and night. The keto diet saved my life, for which I'll always be grateful. I lost over 70lbs over the past year. Now I'm just slightly fluffy and weak, and I want to get strong.

Current Stats: 40M, 5'11" 181lbs, estimated 24% BF, 37" waist at navel

Extreme newbie a few weeks into my NLP: Squat 140lbs, Bench 110lbs, Press 75lbs, DL rack pull 215lbs. (All 3x5 and started with the empty bar except DL 1x5 started at 135lbs.) I have failed reps several times especially on the squat, but I'm continuing to make progress, maybe just a little slower than optimal. I'm doing rack pull deadlifts at the advice of my SSC due to having a hunchback posture and difficulty setting my back into extension, which I'm working on.

Current macros: 2750 cals, 200g protein, 75g carbs, 183g fat. At these numbers I've gained about 1lb/week for the past month. At 75g carbs I'm still in ketosis most of the time and I feel great. The problem is that eating any more carbs than this makes me feel awful: low energy, brain fog, lightheadedness, bloating, heartburn.

In October I had a checkup and all my numbers were pretty good, A1C and BP back to healthy, trigs greatly improved, cholesterol just slightly high of ideal. One concern is my free testosterone is at 275, the low end of the range for my age. GP said it's probably due to eating such a caloric deficit and low carb for a year. Some of my symptoms may be due to low T. If it doesn't come back up after a few months of lifting & eating correctly, I'll definitely consider TRT.

Bottom line is I feel anxious & reluctant to increase my calories or especially to go back to a high carb diet, I'm worried that the symptoms I've experienced previously when eating high carb won't go away and I'll get fat and sick again. I'm looking for any advice as to the best way to go forward, whether that be a way to successfully transition to an ideal diet for strength, or whether to maintain the current course for now and see how it goes.

Thanks.

Are you meeting with a SSC online or in person? I don't see a justification for substituting the rack pull. We get kyphotic lifters all of the time and if you can't set your back with the bar on the floor then you need to learn how to. That's what we are trained to teach you how to do.

As for your diet, you don't need to eat high carb necessarily but sub 100 g carbohydrate for a male lifter is too low. Try 200 g to start and keep your fat under 100 g and see what happens.What time of day did you check your testosterone?

Thanks coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Are you meeting with a SSC online or in person? I don't see a justification for substituting the rack pull. We get kyphotic lifters all of the time and if you can't set your back with the bar on the floor then you need to learn how to. That's what we are trained to teach you how to do.
    In person intro session. We stated with me trying the DL on the floor. I assume doing rack pulls was meant to be temporary until I get better at setting my back. I'll follow up with a form check.

As for your diet, you don't need to eat high carb necessarily but sub 100 g carbohydrate for a male lifter is too low. Try 200 g to start and keep your fat under 100 g and see what happens.
    Ok, will do. 200g carbs + 200g protein + 100g fat = 2500 cals, is that your recommendation? That will be around maintenance for me.

My main question is should I just wake up tomorrow and switch my macros and accept that I'll probably feel crappy for a while? Or maybe ease into it?

What time of day did you check your testosterone?
    Around 9am after fasting 12 hours. That was back in October prior to starting any serious lifting program and I was in a caloric deficit & strict keto at the time. I should probably get retested?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jettoblack View Post
    Hi all,

Bottom line is I feel anxious & reluctant to increase my calories or especially to go back to a high carb diet, I'm worried that the symptoms I've experienced previously when eating high carb won't go away and I'll get fat and sick again. I'm looking for any advice as to the best way to go forward, whether that be a way to successfully transition to an ideal diet for strength, or whether to maintain the current course for now and see how it goes.

Thanks.
    Great story and turn-around, good for you!

Are you sure you aren't somewhat agglomerating your issues? Optimal macro nutrient ratio's are different for someone not being active at all and someone doing an intense strength training program like this one.

There is much evidence that keto works well for sedentary individuals and those doing endurance events, but there is also much evidence that any person / athlete doing strength or higher intensity training benefits greatly from proper carb intake.

eating any more carbs than this makes me feel awful: low energy, brain fog, lightheadedness, bloating, heartburn.
    Have you looked into what kind of carbs you are eating, and if it's the specific type of food (versus the macro nutrient count) that is bothering you?

Some key search words: Paleo, Fodmap, Gluten sensitivity, glycemic index

Carbs aren't the enemy, you just need to find the type and ratio that suits your body and training goals.

Quote Originally Posted by jettoblack View Post
    Thanks coach.

In person intro session. We stated with me trying the DL on the floor. I assume doing rack pulls was meant to be temporary until I get better at setting my back. I'll follow up with a form check.

Ok, will do. 200g carbs + 200g protein + 100g fat = 2500 cals, is that your recommendation? That will be around maintenance for me.

My main question is should I just wake up tomorrow and switch my macros and accept that I'll probably feel crappy for a while? Or maybe ease into it?

Around 9am after fasting 12 hours. That was back in October prior to starting any serious lifting program and I was in a caloric deficit & strict keto at the time. I should probably get retested?

Thanks again.
    That is my recommendation only to avoid causing you digestive issues and rapid rebound weight gain. The carb number will need to go up over time and done slowly. You must take extra care not to have "cheat" days because that is the number one reason people mess up a "balanced diet" for lack of a better word. Definitely get your testosterone retested. Lastly, who is your SSC?

starting strength coach development program
    That is my recommendation only to avoid causing you digestive issues and rapid rebound weight gain. The carb number will need to go up over time and done slowly. You must take extra care not to have "cheat" days because that is the number one reason people mess up a "balanced diet" for lack of a better word. Definitely get your testosterone retested. Lastly, who is your SSC?
    Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back. My SSC is Alex Koesarie.