starting strength gym

Thread: Just need some realistic guidance

Default Just need some realistic guidance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

My name is Sheldon, I've been following starting strength on and off ( a lot off) for 12 months (I'm not really doing the program at that point ) I do try to stay consistent. Anyways...

I'm 6'1 went from 185lbs to 220lbs Age 22

My lifts went from:

Squat 185lbs to 340lbs 3x5

Deadlift 225lbs to 345lbs 1x5 (dont know why my deadlift is trialing other than grip strength "no chalk allowed)

Press 95lbs to 150lbs 3x5

Bench press 135lbs to 225lbs 3x5

Nothing crazy but more improvement than I'd seen in the year I spent doing " functional training and plyometrics " even without 100% adherence.

Guess I have a few questions:

1. How many calories should I be eating?

2. Should I be adding body weight at this point? (think I'm around 20-25% body fat on the lower end of that spectrum)

3. How do I get my deadlift where its supposed to be?

4 . I get really light headedness from the press like I'm going to faint. Why and how do I fix it.

5. I've neglected power cleaning because I feel there is a lot of technique. Is power cleaning super valuable to someone who isnt an athlete? Are they 100% necessary.

6. Sorry if this isnt the correct fourm/ tread

THANK YOU!
    Honestly I spent 2 years in college in Fitness and Health Promotion learning about how to use the ab curl machine and exercise variety. I learned more from the blue book and the video content you guys produce than I did in school. And at least your stuff works. Not only have you made a positive impact in my life but by doing so you have made a positive impact on the people that surround me. I thank all who have contributed to starting strength.

1. How many calories should I be eating?

Calorie Needs for Barbell Training | Robert Santana

2. Should I be adding body weight at this point? (think I'm around 20-25% body fat on the lower end of that spectrum)

If you are having trouble adding weight to the bar then yes but slower than you were before.

3. How do I get my deadlift where its supposed to be?

You use chalk even if it says no chalk. Get liquid chalk and be keep a low profile. You should be pulling 405 x 5 with a squat like that. This is leaving lots of upper body muscle mass on the table.

4 . I get really light headedness from the press like I'm going to faint. Why and how do I fix it.

What time are you training? I used to get this bad to the point where I would faint on limit sets. I found that training in the am was an issue because I had less carbohydrates and thus was less hydrated, leading to my BP bottoming out from extended valsalva. In the afternoon i'm more hydrated, fuller, and have less of an issue.

5. I've neglected power cleaning because I feel there is a lot of technique. Is power cleaning super valuable to someone who isnt an athlete? Are they 100% necessary.

At your age yes.

6. Sorry if this isnt the correct forum/ thread

Since you asked question 1 i'll let it slide. That and I hate artificially weak deadlifts.

4. I got over that by squeezing my glutes to the point of cramping. I read it somewhere, or other and gave it a go, it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Are those wiskey lifting etched wiskey glasses available ?