starting strength gym

Thread: Diet

Default Diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a question about my diet. I am 31y/o male height 6’2” and weight 290lbs. I have been running the Novice program for a few months not very strong yet my 5 rep maxes are
    Squat 345
    Deadlift 405
    Bench 215
    Press 140
    I have put on about 15lb body weight since starting the program. I want to lose body fat and I’m just wondering if it is possible to do while still making progress in my lifts. Or should I just keep progressing and worry about cutting fat later on down the road. I believe I’m around 30% body fat from a calculation i found online. Also, when not training I have a really sedentary lifestyle due to work. Would going for long walks help with cutting body fat or would that cut into my calories for recovery? Please let me know your thoughts on the best approach. Currently trying to get around 3000 calories per day.

I would cut down to 242 lb. Run the program out as long as you can while doing so. When you can no longer make progress on the program, move to an intermediate program for the remainder of the fat loss phase. Then when your fat loss is concluded, run another novice linear progression. As for diet, start by cutting 20-40 grams of fat from your current diet to start out. If that doesn't work then begin cutting carbohydrates. No cheat days.

You mean if I cut out 40 grams of fat at 360 calories that would put me at around 3640 for the day? And if the weight loss doesn’t come then cut out more carbs? How many grams of carbs and protein do you recommend then I can just fill in fat with the rest.. and also I’ve heard in a podcast you and rip talking about how You shouldn’t do that for longer than 3 months or so, so is that the time frame I’m looking at? Thanks

How does removing 360 calories from your 3000 calorie diet place you at 3640 calories for the day?

Sorry typo I meant 2640

Just curious if 2640 is enough to keep getting me stronger under the bar. And if there is a certain amount of carbs and protein number I need to be hitting within those calories.

starting strength coach development program
    It might. You will have to try and find out. Doesn't change the fact that you have to eat somewhere in that caloric ballpark (assuming your estimates are accurate) to lose fat.