starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-Texas with poor sleep

Default Post-Texas with poor sleep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all.

Looking for help or recommendations. Searched the forums but couldn't really find a similar situation. Not sure if this should go here or in the programming section.

I am reaching what I think is the end of my capabilities on the Texas Method. I am a 29y/o male, 295lbs. My current lifts are Sq-435 1x5, OHP 240 1x3, DL 455 1x5, BP 335 1x3. I have failed the 5x5 portion of the squat and OHP the last two weeks at 400 and 195lbs, respectively.

I have three young children that limit my sleep tremendously. I lift early a.m. and on training days I average 5.5-6hrs, off days 7. I'm fully aware this is the limiting factor to my progress.

I also know there is no such thing as 'too strong', but at this point I would also like to start slimming down a bit more than I currently am.

Thanks for all you guys do!

Well there is no such thing as 'too strong' but I will say that with those numbers you have plenty of buffer to lose body fat and finish out 'not weak' at the end of it. You might even end up with a bigger deadlift if you play your cards right. Pick a goal and stick to it and if you have questions on how to get there that have not been answered then shoot them over. What is your waist circumference?

Thanks for the response, Robert. I'm currently at a 44" waist.

At this point in my training, what type of program would you recommend to maintain the strength I've built while beginning to cut body fat?

I would start with a HLM or a 4 day split so you can get an extra upper body session in. That should work just fine.

I am reaching the end of my fourth month on the Texas Method after transitioning to it from the NLP last fall. Would you move to a four day split after reaching the point of no TM progression?

Thanks again.

Yes. Don't keep crapping out every week. Move along, recover, keep getting stronger. Especially on that deadlift. My money is your squat is either high or your back is overtrained. Squat video please.

Makes sense. Thanks!

I have always had the opposite problem of divebombing squats instead of being too high. I have to be conscious of it with each rep. Even these I think the descent was faster than it should've been.

YouTube

You are welcome. These are definitely deep enough but they look like hell. You are slamming into your knees and getting out of your hips both at the bottom and throughout the ascent. You are muscling the weight up with your back and knees. Bend over, sit back more than you want to, cut it off an inch higher, and drive your ass all the way up until you're completely standing straight up. You will probably need to reset the squat to fix this but if you care about staying healthy i'd highly recommend it.

Can you explain what you mean by getting out of my hips?

starting strength coach development program
    Watch your knees and watch your bar. As soon as you come up out of the hole your knees go forward your back goes backwards. Therefore you are transferring the load from the hips to the knees and attempting to muscle the bar up by extending the spine. The problem is that thoracic extension does not accelerate the the bar, it pushes it off balance backwards. The glutes, hamstrings, and adductors are your primary hip extensors so the cue to stay bent over forces you to engage those muscles more to facilitate a more efficient lockout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast