starting strength gym

Thread: Something Really Strange Happened on Squats Today

Default Something Really Strange Happened on Squats Today

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I will try to make this as brief as possible. So on Monday I came into the gym on good sleep, calories, and preworkout and crushed 295 lbs. for depth for 5, 5, and 4 reps. Since I failed the last set (literally failed and used safety racks) I did 295 x 3 to make up for the last set I missed. I got 8 hours of sleep Monday night and reached my 3500 cal goal w/ 160-170 g of protein. Tuesday was my rest day - did the same thing as usual. Went to school crammed about 3200 cals and 155 g of protein (using MyFitnessPal to be sure). Got 8 hours of sleep Tuesday night as well. I came into the gym today, Wednesday, with 1700 cals in my system, took my preworkout, warmed up, and went to repeat 295 lbs. since I missed it on Monday. Once I warmed my way up to my 1st working set at 295 lbs I got 4 solid reps, but on the 5th rep I bounced out of the bottom and starting driving my hips upward, but it just wasn't coming. I gave it everything I had, but it was turning into a good morning squat, so I didn't risk it and let it down on the safety racks. Since I failed it on the first set, I dropped a little more than I probably should have and did 275 for 3 x 5 and made sure to sink them. Anyways, what may have caused this problem, possibly recovery or something? It really pissed me off, but I can't expect every day to be a good day. I gave it my best, so that's all that matters. Thanks for the read!

We would have to see your squat. How many grams of carbohydrates?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    We would have to see your squat. How many grams of carbohydrates?
    When I went into the gym I had ~200 g of carb in me. I have a video of the 295 x 3 I was talking about to make up for the failed rep from Monday. After failing my 3rd set on Mon I rested 10 mins and did it for 3. Unfortunately, I did not get any video from yesterday’s training.

You lost tightness and balance on your 5th rep. I oftentimes do this and it’s a difficult habit to get rid of. So don’t make it a habit!

Was right around 200g of carbs