starting strength gym

Thread: Question on which direction to take

Default Question on which direction to take

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Robert,

I have been following your nutrition advice through various podcasts and articles you have written and find them very valuable and informative, so thank you.

I am a bit confused and was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I am a 34 y/o male, 5-8, about 182lbs, BMI of 27, 37 inch waist (belly button measurement), and approximately 21% bf (from Army calculator). I am early intermediate on squats and deadlifts but still trying to eke out some progress on presses. Gaining strength is still my goal but I am trying to do so with a reasonable body composition.

Should I still be bulking or is recomposition or leaning out more reasonable? Thank you so much for your time.

Lifts?

355x5 squat, 410x5 deadlift, 160x5 press, 200x5 bench

Are you still adding weight to the bar on these PRs and if so how often?

I was progressing my lifts weekly with the 4 day texas method before stalling out at these numbers, but I know I can make quite a bit more progress with some of the programming modifications from the book.

I assume since I think I can continue to make more progress at a reasonably fast rate, I should concentrate on doing so since my bodyfat levels are not out of control. I will just try to do so in a more reasonable manner then eating whatever I want.

The past week I have been focusing on eating approximately 3,000 calories with approx 200g protein, 250g carbs, and 130g fat.

I'd cut the fat down to 90 g/d and see what that does to you. That's a 270 calorie drop, with no change in carbohydrates. You are at a point now where you are no longer weak but you can still get stronger. I wouldn't lose a ton of weight but 5-10 lb would be good as you are working back up on the bar.

Thank you, your advice is much appreciated.

starting strength coach development program
    You are very welcome.