starting strength gym

Thread: Losing bodyfat at the end of novice progression before starting TM

Default Losing bodyfat at the end of novice progression before starting TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I finally went through a relatively successful linear progression over the last six months. I gained about 40 lbs, from 195 to 235. (Age 26)

Squat: 225 -> 410 (3x5)
    Dead: 225 -> 450 (1x5)
    Bench: 185 -> 285 (3x5)
    Press: (don't want to talk about this one)

With the exception of my overhead press, which I feel could still benefit from a linear progression for another few months, everything else seems pretty capped out. I want to cut bodyfat for the summer, and then starting back up again in July/August. Losing bodyfat is important to me, but not really as important as maintaining my strength.

How do I program for cutting weight? I was planning on scaling back the calories, but I think it's unlikely I'm going to be able to hit anywhere near these numbers without stuffing my face like I have been for the last 6 months. The squat itself takes over an hour and I'm exhausted by the end of it. I can't imagine being able to keep that up without chugging chocolate milk from wawa afterwards like I ordinarily would.

I want to lose bodyfat, but I don't want to do it if it means I'm going to wipe out all my progress over the last 6 months. Any advice?

It's difficult to maintain strength and cut. My take is that you aren't capped out. Not yet twice body weight deadlift, plenty to go.

I agree with Nockian on the deadlift as I am passionate that many of us can pull more than we think we can. Aside from that, programming on a cut is a balancing act. The general advice I give is to extend the SRA cycle by going from LP to weekly LP etc and avoiding peaking phases (singles, doubles etc). You do this all while eating as many carbohydrates and protein calories as possible while still losing weight. Something I'd be happy to work with you on if you are in the market for some coaching. You have some good numbers (please share your press) so I'm confident I can help you with the transition and keep you both looking strong and being strong in the process.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for the incredibly late response. After quarantine I was finally able to secure a private rack and I've been lifting again. Before quarantine, I was able to get 1 rep of 475 for the deadlift. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to generate power of the deadlift like I can (relatively speaking) for the squat.

For my press, I got stuck at 160 3x5.

I am interested in coaching. I have the rack and about 500 lb in plates so I should be okay to lift for the foreseeable future.

Very cool man. You can hop on my site and purchase coaching there or shoot me an email at robert@weightsandplates.com if you have additional questions. Let's get a nice big pull out of you and congrats on surviving quarantine.