starting strength gym

Thread: Running NLP after recomp.

Default Running NLP after recomp.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've reached the end of the deficit phase and will now run NLP as you advised. Do I start back at the initial novice phase with deadlifts every session, or would that be too much ? I'm looking at the Barbell prescription for masters page 19 - 2A, 2B, 2C.

2A is deadlifts on every session which I think would be too much unless I deload a lot -I'm pulling 172.5Kg (385lbs) 1RM-so probably not ?

2B looks more like it with DL on alternate workouts-still possibly too much ?

2C moves DL to once per week -that seems more appropriate to me ?

I'm to eat in a slight surplus by sticking to the deficit diet during the week, but bumping it up at weekends with some extra carbs and fats.

Does this seem like the right way forward ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I've reached the end of the deficit phase and will now run NLP as you advised. Do I start back at the initial novice phase with deadlifts every session, or would that be too much ? I'm looking at the Barbell prescription for masters page 19 - 2A, 2B, 2C.

2A is deadlifts on every session which I think would be too much unless I deload a lot -I'm pulling 172.5Kg (385lbs) 1RM-so probably not ?

2B looks more like it with DL on alternate workouts-still possibly too much ?

2C moves DL to once per week -that seems more appropriate to me ?

I'm to eat in a slight surplus by sticking to the deficit diet during the week, but bumping it up at weekends with some extra carbs and fats.

Does this seem like the right way forward ?
    How did the cut end?

How often were you pulling at the end of your cut? Did you get stronger while cutting?

Why are you undereating during the week?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How did the cut end?

How often were you pulling at the end of your cut? Did you get stronger while cutting?

Why are you undereating during the week?
    163.5 lbs estimated 19% BF.

Pulling once per week top set 3,2,1 with back off dynamic sets of 2/3 dynamic for up to 6 sets, 1 set RDL 8-10

I got stronger, but less volume for the heavy sets and more volume for accessory work and back off sets. During the last week I began to see a more severe fall off for strength-barely able to pull 163Kg for a single where as, a couple of weeks before I could pull 172.5kg. The other lifts had basically plateaued with week to week seeing a struggle to lift the top sets but not consistently. I could press 51Kg for a single one week and be unable to manage 50Kg for a double the next.

I was thinking that it might be easier to stick to what I'm used to for the week because it's easy, but that's why I asked. I can figure out maintenance for the week-probably a second two scoop protein shake with an apple and another cup of rice with lunch. Then semi binge on the weekend keeping the protein high. I'm definitely open to suggestions on the best way forward.

I'd just do a basic 5-10% reset from where you got stuck and work up from there. Start adding carbohydrates in first then add fats as tolerated. Eat the same all days, remember your off days are when you are recovering. You aren't just sitting around burning zero calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I'd just do a basic 5-10% reset from where you got stuck and work up from there. Start adding carbohydrates in first then add fats as tolerated. Eat the same all days, remember your off days are when you are recovering. You aren't just sitting around burning zero calories.
    Not quite that simple as that. Andys program was for one single top set of three. Going back to 3x5 across means adjusting the lifts back to account for the extra reps at a minimum. LOL yesterday was rock hard-I chose 70Kg Bench-80Kg squat-140Kg DL to get started as I've also had a week away on holiday. I ache a bit today :-). I'm just going to add the usual 5lbs to the big lifts and 2lbs to the pressing movements then micro load until I'm done.

I've adjusted my daily intake by doubling up on the rice at lunch and adding an extra double scoop shake with a banana. I honestly don't know why I was thinking I should eat in deficit for the 5 days, crazy, Im probably suffering from malnutrition already :-).

I could kill for some cheese, but once I start on that, then bad things happen. I'm like that shark in the film 'finding Nemo' if I get a hint of dairy, it's going to end badly.