starting strength gym

Thread: Confused by online calculators - General Calorie Question

Default Confused by online calculators - General Calorie Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert,
    Just watched the Podcast with you and Rip. Love the advice and insight.

I’ve been fumbling around with the online calorie trackers and TDEE estimators trying to figure out where I should be. I am still a novice , but wanted to know what your ‘rough estimate’ or basic guidance would be on total calories for me.
    Stats:
    35 yrs old
    6’ 3”
    225 lbs
    Deadlift: 405
    Squat: 295
    Bench: 255
    Goal: get strong - with moderate fat accumulation.

I know I could eat 6000 calories and I would definitely get strong, but I want to reasonable about it.

Let me know your thoughts on what you think a good calorie amount would be.

Thank you,
    Greg Radcliffe

I'm glad you liked the podcasts. How much are you pressing?

My recommendation is to first track what you are currently eating to maintain the status quo. Then add to that in accordance with the difficulty of the workout, while ensuring first that protein and carbohydrate are within the recommended guidelines for both. Have you read my position papers?

Robert,
    My Press is at 175. I had not read any of your papers prior to asking, but I have since read several of them. Specifically, “Calorie Needs for Barbell Training”... which made me feel silly because it is literally addressing my exact question.

Thank you so much. I have not been gaining weight too rapidly, but I didn’t want to just go crazy and end up with way too much fat. Further, I don’t want to sell myself short from making Strength gains.

It sounds like a lot of it is personal experience and picking a starting point and going from there.

I eat, presently, about 3300-3800 calories/day. Focusing on Protein and carbs. I might bump that up a bit.

In any event, thanks for the resources. I will do some more reading on the articles you wrote and, most importantly, just keep training!

Thanks,
    Greg Radcliffe

You are making good progress here. Do as you said and keep us posted. I think you'll do just fine.