starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain

Default Weight gain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi again Santana.

Into the second week of NLP after the recomp diet. Already my weight has gone from 163.5 to 165 after a couple of weeks off the defecit diet. Weight on the bar is going up and in a couple of weeks it should be roughly back to where I was pre-diet. If I keep putting on the pounds at this rate I will be around 167-8 which will be approximately 14lbs lighter for the same strength.

Is this rate of weight gain OK relative to strength returning to previous. I'm just concerned I'm going to put it all back on and have to go back on the blood pressure meds in a couple of months. I know at my age (60) this is a more difficult juggling act, but I'm trying to maximise gains whilst minimising fat.

It's totally fine. In fact more than fine. The initial weight gain is body water and muscle glycogen. 1.5 lb is actually pretty marginal for post diet so expect more before it levels off.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It's totally fine. In fact more than fine. The initial weight gain is body water and muscle glycogen. 1.5 lb is actually pretty marginal for post diet so expect more before it levels off.
    Thanks for the reassurance Robert. Hoping the gym stays open or I'm going to have to invest in a power rack and barbell :-/

Would not be a bad investment.

Would not be a bad investment.
    Problem is where to put it and, in the current logistical mess of Cov19, would I actually get it if I ordered it ?
    I bought a new car 3 weeks ago and it's delivery has been delayed - I suspect it's Cov19 causing issues in the supply chain.

Everything is delayed right now. If you can't source it locally I would not mess with it.

Everything is delayed right now. If you can't source it locally I would not mess with it.
    I've decided that's the best course of action. I suspect there might be a lot of bargain price equipment around after this thing is over. That would be a good time to get set up. For now I've made a set of Dumbbells out of 4x5Kg weights and a lump of broom handle-that's my immediate inventiveness over. Wood actually feels nicer than knurling.

Paint buckets can be useful right now too. A friend in town made dumbbells out of them.

Latest; since moving onto Andy Bakers home gym regime which is more aerobic, than strength, my weight has fallen back to 164, but, the Tanita scales are showing 21% BF instead of 22%. I'm also eating a lot more fats and carbs-feeling hungry all the time compared to pure strength training. Not sure if this is going in the right direction, but there isn't a lot I can do about it. My goal now can only be to maintain weight, reduce BF, try and hold onto muscle and improve conditioning.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you cut back on protein too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast