starting strength gym

Thread: Covid 19 recommended supplements ?

Default Covid 19 recommended supplements ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m 68 still working out but was wondering if there are any supplements that may be beneficial to help my immune system.

I know supplements are often considered unnecessary but I can afford them if it’s even marginally beneficial

My diet isn’t terrible but I’ve been avoiding grocery stores and eating canned foods

Thanks

No supplement is going to "cure" a virus. That being said you should be consuming a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Antioxidants, such as C and E, are useful but just don't take them after training because they can blunt the very adaptations we desire from training itself. In the midst of all this gym shutdown business we've been seeing, I will go on the record saying that chronic exercise training is one of the finest antioxidants available to us.

Robert
    I realize it’s not a cure. I’m just trying to cover any bases I can.
    Truthfully I think the Wuhan virus is exaggerated by the criminals in the media for political advantage, which is being argued in another thread so I’ll not go further.

Your comment about blunting my training efforts was eye opening.

Can you please give your thought on how I should time my consumption of vitamins in relation to when I train, how many hours apart?

I take D, C, coq10, and magnesium ( the last two were suggested by my doctor)

I have a replacement bovine heart valve (from a bicuspid valve I was blessed with ) no lifting restrictions per my surgeon

I eat pretty good most of the time
    6’4
    260 lbs
    37 inch waist
    68 years old

Currently I’m at
    Bench 185
    Squat 315
    Dead 335
    Press 100

Those are five rep numbers, I’m on a LP going back up after a three month layoff due to a back injury, the flu and then some laziness getting back at it.

Feel pretty good but do have some poor sleep issues due too many aches and travel a lot for work

I try to train 3-4 times a week doing the main exercises Rip suggests and also bent rows

Thanks for your time

Bob

I agree with you and am still catching up on that thread.

I'd recommend taking those supplements during a window of time that opposes your training time. So if you train in the am take in the pm and vice versa. Are you training at home right now?

Yes I’m training at home I have an extremely well equipped weight room.
    Way more than I need.

8 racks, 3500 lbs of york old school Olympic weights,
    lat machine,
    free standing dip rack
    Football bars
    Curl bars
    Safety squat bar
    Trap bar
    7 york Olympic bars
    Tricep extension machine

The only thing I still haven’t picked up is a good set of dumbbells

I was considering starting a key club weight room so I was slowly getting everything I needed.
    Not sure if I’m still going to follow through on the club plan

8 racks? You may as well follow through now. It's fun and you make a few bucks in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    No supplement is going to "cure" a virus. That being said you should be consuming a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Antioxidants, such as C and E, are useful but just don't take them after training because they can blunt the very adaptations we desire from training itself. In the midst of all this gym shutdown business we've been seeing, I will go on the record saying that chronic exercise training is one of the finest antioxidants available to us.
    Would you expand on this please mechanistically? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand. At a first pass in my brain it seems training requires extra oxygen so would promote extra oxidation, not less.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes acutely. Then we adapt to it chronically.