starting strength gym

Thread: nutrition question

Default nutrition question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a question about nutrition and how it will affect my training. Will eating unhealthy food here and there negatively affect my training progress even if I get the required nutrition (protein, carbs, calories)?

Define "here and there"

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonG View Post
    I have a question about nutrition and how it will affect my training. Will eating unhealthy food here and there negatively affect my training progress even if I get the required nutrition (protein, carbs, calories)?
    lol, Define "unhealthy"... one person's health food is another person's junk food these days.

I'd classify "unhealthy" food based on the following:
    - Containing things that are specifically bad for you ranging from immediately poisonous, to something you have a reaction / allergy to (gluten?), to something that has no acute impact but may harm you over time (some might say food high in trans-fats for example, there is much grey area and debate on this subject).
    - Highly processed (what's in there anyway?)
    - High in Macro Nutrients but not in micro-nutrients (there's no "nutrition" just empty calories)

Will eating some junk impact your training progress? Probably not, it might help if you are short on macro's. Will you get a little extra fat? (maybe), will you be healthier? (impossible to tell).

If you are trying to skirt the line of adding muscle while minimizing fat gain it will impact your progress more.

There are other factors to consider: I like eating ice cream after dinner the days I train, I don't know if it helps or hurts my progress but I enjoy the reward