starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting while Vegetarian

Default Lifting while Vegetarian

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've *finally* gotten my girlfriend of 6 months interested in barbell strength training (once the gyms open back up). She's pretty weak right now at 5'4 and 115 pounds, doesn't have much muscle mass. She's completely untrained when it comes to resistance training, but she did take up running a couple months ago.

She's a vegetarian for moral reasons. I'm not going to argue with her about it, not like she forces her own views on me. She isn't pretentious or preachy about it either.

My question is, can someone still do the SS NLP while being a vegetarian? She's okay with eating eggs and dairy products, just not too often. Should they still aim for the same 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight measurement? Should the weight on the bar's increases be slowed down at all? What are the most bioavailable and highly concentrated protein sources she should be eating?

Years ago the answer would be no. But in 2020, with the expansion of plant based protein options, she can and should run a NLP. I'd say 1.0-1.5 g protein/bodyweight would be good. Is he vegan or just avoiding meat products? I don't think her progression will be slower if she is eating enough no.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Years ago the answer would be no. But in 2020, with the expansion of plant based protein options, she can and should run a NLP. I'd say 1.0-1.5 g protein/bodyweight would be good. Is he vegan or just avoiding meat products? I don't think her progression will be slower if she is eating enough no.
    She usually eats vegan when she's cooking for herself, but she still eats eggs and dairy whenever she's with me or when we go out to eat.

Try some edamame pasta. That stuff is real good and high in protein and fiber. The eggs and dairy can go a long way too if you can get more of that worked in.