starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting and stubborn belly fat. Macros right?

Default Cutting and stubborn belly fat. Macros right?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,

am I cutting right?

Male, 37, 6ft
    92 kg after bulking phase
    87 kg now

Started a cut about a month ago because of corona and because of a belly that was getting ridiculous.

The first kilos should have been water weight etc. and now I’m eating 2200-2350 calories a day and lose weight slowly. Like 1 lbs per week or so. Macros are 300-350 grams of carbohydrates, 170 grams protein and 35-50 grams fat. Should I change that?

I bought equipment and am on a 4 day split. Only the deadlift schedule had to change because I don’t have enough plates. So instead of doing one deadlift intensity PR (1x5) and one deadlift volume PR (3x5) per week both deadlift days are 3x5 volume days with around 80% of my last 5rm till the gym reopens. I‘ll probably go to 3x6 then 3x7 etc. in the next weeks to have some form of progression.

I‘ve lost quite some strength since losing weight and eating less calories but the belly has to go for now. I don’t need a six pack but a somewhat normal and athletic physique. When I’m looking normal again I want to gain weight again but then maybe with a less extreme surplus.

Should I keep doing what I‘m doing or am I doing something wrong or ineffective here?

Thanks!

Your macros are reasonable just make sure you are getting enough fiber (40 g) as well. How strong were you before you had to do this?

Thanks.

Fiber is always between 40 and 55 g per day.

1RM were

Squat 140 kg
    Deadlift 190 kg
    Bench 110 kg
    Press 72,5 kg

My plan initially was to not give a fuck and continue eating 3500 or more in order to get stronger till my weight reaches 100-105 kg and my numbers improve but the belly really has gotten out of hand and started looking retarded. I think I´m a little unlucky here with fat distribution. "Nothing" anywhere else and everything accumulates in the belly. And also the visceral fat concerned me healthwise.

Well you aren't totally weak so why not just lose 10-15 lb and then train there for a bit?

Yes, I will do that but you know how it is: My motivation was really high because of my steadily increasing numbers and I would have loved to just continue getting stronger. I could already smell the 500 lb deadlift etc. and now it takes longer and that pisses me off.

But yes, complaining is useless and doesn’t accomplish anything. I know :-)

Thanks for your feedback, Robert.

Don't stop trying to get stronger. Just cut back your calories and continue training with intention. It may not happen but it also may. One way to find out.

I'm curious. What is your waist that you find ridiculous? I dropped from 235 to 215 and saw my 43" waist go to .....43". No typo there. I hear you about frustration as my lifts crashed with that drop. Really disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I'm curious. What is your waist that you find ridiculous? I dropped from 235 to 215 and saw my 43" waist go to .....43". No typo there. I hear you about frustration as my lifts crashed with that drop. Really disheartening.
    How did you drop the weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How did you drop the weight?
    I've been on calorie restriction from 1950 down to 1750 kcal (40p/40c/20f) over the last 6 months and continuing to lift 3x a week.

starting strength coach development program
    Probably lost it off other areas first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast