starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking Testosterone Levels

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    A lot of family or PCPs don't really know or care about test levels as they pertain to athletes. Many times, if you're in range that's good enough for them and they may be reluctant to prescribe. 350ng/dl may be "normal range" but it still sucks. Some doctor's aren't even aware how other factors impact other values on blood work either and how it all relates, or not, to taking exogenous testosterone.
    A lot of lab work is sloppy as hell. If your PCP/lab/whoever doesn't advise on time of day or things that can interfere with testing processes, look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by eavdr10 View Post
    I am a 40 year old male, who would like to have his test levels checked. I live in metro NY and going to visit the doctor is an adventure at the moment. I have seen some of these at home test kits, that are sent to you, you take the test, and send them back for results. Are you aware of any of these that are considered legitimate?
    Check if Labcorp or Quest is open by you. If so, go to PrivateMDLabs or other online service and order a bloodwork assay that will give you total and Free test.

One thing I am curious about is the effect of diet/training on testosterone levels. Is it possible a combination of deficit dieting and hitting the weights reasonable hard and consistently can lead to a significant deficiency showing up in tests?

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    One thing I am curious about is the effect of diet/training on testosterone levels. Is it possible a combination of deficit dieting and hitting the weights reasonable hard and consistently can lead to a significant deficiency showing up in tests?
    This is a n=1 but I have seen my levels steadily rise over the last 4 years in conjunction with steady increases in strength and lean mass. My total testosterone levels from each test below.

2016 - 476 ng/dL
    2018 - 544 ng/dL
    2020 - 580 ng/dL

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    From the minimal reading I've done in the past, it seems that an aggressive calorie deficit can lower test levels. So can being fat, which also increases estrogen. Exogenous testosterone will also increase estrogen but that can be easily dealt with if necessary. On a TRT dose, it may or may not be as people respond differently and, obviously, it is dose dependant as well.

That's cool, basically double what my last test showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    This is a n=1 but I have seen my levels steadily rise over the last 4 years in conjunction with steady increases in strength and lean mass. My total testosterone levels from each test below.

2016 - 476 ng/dL
    2018 - 544 ng/dL
    2020 - 580 ng/dL
    And your rising as your getting older which is really remarkable..if you can hold steady as you age your doing a great job...if you rise as you age, over 35, a doc probably will think your taking something not necessarily test..but something...if your doing it naturally hats off to you because your not gonna experience that crash that everyone who is on something will at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Mainstream View Post
    And your rising as your getting older which is really remarkable..if you can hold steady as you age your doing a great job...if you rise as you age, over 35, a doc probably will think your taking something not necessarily test..but something...if your doing it naturally hats off to you because your not gonna experience that crash that everyone who is on something will at some point
    I forgot to mention that I aged from 31 to 35 during that window, tested at the same time of day and same month of the year. I turn 36 in July so let's see where it goes from here. I was debating TRT because I was insanely tired and apathetic throughout the day, despite setting regular PRs, earlier this year hence the most recent test. After seeing those trends I decided to rule out other factors instead. I found that if I can go to bed early and wake up early I feel and function just fine. The fatigue kicks in like clockwork if I go to bed after 11 pm regardless of quantity of sleep. I've never experimented with anabolic steroids or testosterone supplementation. I'm not opposed to either I just don't see a place for it in my life. That will likely change with age of course. I am interested to seeing where this trend flattens out in years to come. I'm on track for more PRs going into this summer so let's see what happens next.

About the same age here, a little younger. I wanna avoid the TRT if possible because of potential side effects and I don't know how permanent they could end up being. But at the same time, my numbers for testosterone are pretty alarming right now. I don't know if it's because I've been deficit dieting or what. I haven't really had any tests for it done in a maintenance or surplus state. I started trying to eat maintenance again recently since my weight loss kinda flattened out after a 30 pound drop, and when I get another test done monday I'll have been eating maintenance or above for a few days. It'll be interesting to see if it has any pronounced effect.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd repeat the bloodwork then if you think it was impacted by other factors. If you need it you need it and from what I understand if you do it responsibly it's not a death sentence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast