starting strength gym

Thread: Carnivore Diet

Default Carnivore Diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am wondering just out of curiosity Robert's thoughts on Dr. Shawn Baker and the carnivore diet. I've watched some of his videos and it the diet seems to makes sense evolutionarily, but I am a sucker for fad diets in general. Also, Dr. Baker appears to be able to maintain his strength eating no carbs. Are there benefits to this approach to nutrition? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Sure you can maintain strength if you don't have much to begin with.

I followed that diet for about three months. After a few weeks adjustment, I felt really, really good and some chronic pain I have lessened substantially. Also, I wasn't hungry all the time and I didn't have blood sugar fluctuations which is a big deal for me because I tend to get low pretty easily and that's not fun. Having said that, I'll say this; I'm not following it now. It's too restrictive. It isn't a problem for a while but after a couple months I just wanted to eat like a normal person. And to your point, I don't believe it's the best way to build muscle and strength. I don't know of any high level strength athletes in any strength sport that follow this diet so that should be an indicator.

That were my experiences, fwiw.

Understood! But out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on an all meat diet in general?

Quote Originally Posted by MattLiptak View Post
    Understood! But out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on an all meat diet in general?
    Not nutritionally dense and not practical long-term. Perfectly fine for the sedentary fat guy who needs to drop a big chunk real fast though.

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure I could give up hummus, anyway.

starting strength coach development program
    Hummus is the least of your worries on that