starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuffed - Trying to eat enough

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Coach Robert and others.

Quick update:

Yes, as far as I know I don't have lactose intolerance. I've been drinking milk all my life - just not this much of it. I just feel stuffed, but I guess that's how it is.

I added 10lb to my deadlift the last couple of times and it was 215lb on Saturday and feeling okay. My form still sucks, but I know what to work on - keeping my back straight (at any weight, not just when it gets heavy). I'd post a form check, but since I already know what's so blatantly wrong I think I'd be wasting someone's time looking at it.

I just got off the scale immediately after waking and peeing, and it showed 162.9lb, so I guess that's another couple of pounds since I started this thread 9 days ago. Not very fast progress, but at this rate I think I'll hit 190lb by the end of the year. I'll keep trying to push myself to eat more.

Thanks again!

Give it time, it will go up. Post a form check anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis6890 View Post
    My form still sucks, but I know what to work on - keeping my back straight (at any weight, not just when it gets heavy).
    This is important. I tweaked my back twice early on in my training - difficulty getting socks on and getting in and out of the car. Both times it was while warming up my squat and not really paying attention to what I was doing , just thinking "get through these warm ups then onto the main course" Other people have posted on here to treat every rep as a chance to practice perfect form. I wish I'd implemented that from day 1.

Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by jfwgcp View Post
    This is important. I tweaked my back twice early on in my training - difficulty getting socks on and getting in and out of the car. Both times it was while warming up my squat and not really paying attention to what I was doing , just thinking "get through these warm ups then onto the main course" Other people have posted on here to treat every rep as a chance to practice perfect form. I wish I'd implemented that from day 1.

Jacob
    Think of warm ups like practicing free throws, pitching, or any other sport movement. You are practicing the movement in addition to warming up the exercising muscles

Quote Originally Posted by jfwgcp View Post

Jacob
    And I have pulled muscles during warm-ups due to inattention which caused longer-term drags on my training.

Treat warmups with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis6890 View Post
    Thanks Coach Robert and others.

Quick update:

Yes, as far as I know I don't have lactose intolerance. I've been drinking milk all my life - just not this much of it. I just feel stuffed, but I guess that's how it is.
    Exactly right. Anyone who tries to gain a lot of weight will tell you it sucks. It's just the way it is. Btw, you mentioned eating oatmeal and milk before 10 am and then not being hungry for lunch - perhaps it's due to your work schedule or whatever but can you start eating earlier in the day? That will give you a few extra hours to get food in. Just a thought. Sounds like you're doing fine though. Hang in there.

starting strength coach development program
    Eating earlier in the day is grossly under-rated. Getting something in within an hour of waking up stimulates the appetite quite well and other meals build upon it. It takes getting used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12